Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

118402 service and charging before calls are answered

nick_89
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I recently made some calls to 118402 as I was trying to find a number and couldn’t find it online even through Google.

So I rang 118402 which is the designated directory service for O2. Calls to 118118 and 118500 will cost around £12 for a two minute call, whereas 118402 costs around £1 per minute.

However when calling 118402 I was placed in a queue and eventually the call disconnected, this happened twice and then I learnt that I had been charged for the 2 calls.

They shouldn’t be charging for calls until an operator answers, all other 118 services do not charge until an operator answers. I believe it is unfair.

So in the end I chose the next cheapest option and that was to use a BT Payphone using the exclusive 118141. I inserted £2 and they didn’t charge until they answered and the answered pretty fast and I got the numbers I needed and no need for a huge bill.

I could have used my O2 mobile to call another 118 service but why pay around £6 a minute, it’s crazy!

So my question is, because O2 was charging for the calls before they were answered and because they got disconnected at O2’s end, am I eligible for a refund? It’s roughly £2.50
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143444 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@nick_89 

No idea if you can get a refund or not but if you call cust service and ask them there's a good chance you might Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

nick_89
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Many thanks for your response. I shall try that tomorrow then.
Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143444 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Best of luck.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @nick_89 we'd like to get someone to investigate this for you. I'll drop you a message to grab some details. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 6

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @nick_89 I've had a reply from our Guru team and they have advised that calls are charged from when they connect, not when an adviser answers so a refund would not be due in this case. It's worth giving customer services a call as they may be able to refund at least one of the calls as a gesture of good will but please be aware this is not guaranteed. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 6