Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlocking iphone 6

jacky2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

i am trying to unlock my iphone 6. i requested for it to be unlocked through o2 and got the email telling me to connect to itunes with a different sim in my phone. when i tried this no message appeared. i don't know what to do next

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If the email says it's unlocked and to complete the process connect to iTunes, then yes, that is the standard email that gets sent when the unlock has been completed on Apple's servers, but you need an active sim to unlock it as the network has to talk to Apple's servers to complete the process. It has to be done on an active network connection and cannot be done over wifi.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Generally speaking there is no requirement to connect to iTunes anymore, so it may not have been unlocked yet.
I'd request the unlock again https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jacky2

Did you follow this guide to unlocking?

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

There have been some problems with Unlocking recently so I will mention @EmilieT here. She is one of our community admins and may be able to help

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

jacky2
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
so, i don't need to connect to iTunes? will i still get an email to confirm that my phone is unlocked? also, i forgot to mention that i don't think my new sim is activated. will this make a difference or do i need to start paying to activate it and this will make my phone work? thanks for all your help
Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No, not usually needed now at all but can help if it gets "stuck" and yes, you have to do the process with an activated sim card.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 10

jacky2
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
so i just need to start paying my new phone carrier and my phone will work? sorry, I'm just being careful in case my phone is still locked so i could be paying for nothing, as i didn't get an email confirming my phone is unlocked but if this is the way to make it work i will have to!
Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No, it won't be unlocked until you get the email and text saying it's been done. There is a backlog at the moment but usually takes around 72 hours (3 days) to complete from when requested.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

jacky2
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
so i'm guessing the email telling me to connect to itunes doesn't count as confirmation that its unlocked? by requested do you mean the request that i made on the app?
Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If the email says it's unlocked and to complete the process connect to iTunes, then yes, that is the standard email that gets sent when the unlock has been completed on Apple's servers, but you need an active sim to unlock it as the network has to talk to Apple's servers to complete the process. It has to be done on an active network connection and cannot be done over wifi.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 10

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @jacky2, and welcome to the forum Wave Please let us know how you're getting on with this, and if you need any further help - did the info above help you understand what to do next? Has you phone now been unlocked?

Thanks @Cleoriff for the mention slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 10