Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to get started

cosmos1
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 27 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have just received a new sim and was going to try 02 after years with another provider. I have spent three hours trying to get started but been pushed from pillar to post by online chat, customer services and left high and dry and no service. Is this usual when looking for new customers? I am staggered about the cavalier attitude...

Message 1 of 34
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Have a look at help here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/activating-your-sim but your PAYG sim should already be activated.
All you need to do is top it up, with a voucher the first time and use it.
How to top up help on this thread (scroll down) https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-can-I-pay-my-bill/ba-p/1014090
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Have a look at help here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/activating-your-sim but your PAYG sim should already be activated.
All you need to do is top it up, with a voucher the first time and use it.
How to top up help on this thread (scroll down) https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-can-I-pay-my-bill/ba-p/1014090
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 34

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Just a thought too, to find your number if it's not on the packaging text NUMBER to 2020 – it's free to send this text and you'll get a reply with your phone number.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 34

cosmos1
  • 27 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
why do I needto get started with a voucher? It said to get started with a credit card just type in the long credit card number...but that didnt work. Afetr a long online chat and registering I tried an e top up but none of those attempts worked. I am now left with no phone srvice and unable to go out in this weather. Why cant someone at customer service just call me on my landline and sort ot over the phone. I cannot belive how difficult it has proved to be and because I have already asked for my pac number fro my previous provider thay have summarily dismissed me too. I suppose I will have to look at a third alternative and wait for a few more days....not impressed at all
Message 4 of 34

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
We don't know why but we know from experience that you have to.
That's why we include it in all our advice, sorry.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 34

cosmos1
  • 27 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have the number, have registred the account and tried five times now to pay for a top up to get started. I also tried several times to do the payment on the 4445 number but was unsuccesful each time. I have a pac code but this cannot be serviced until i have topped up. However, I cannot top up either with email or by using the 4445 number. Now. kicked off previous provider because I requested PACand left high and dry with no service because the top up wont work. Online chat said someone wil get back to me in 3-5 days. What use is this.....

Message 6 of 34

cosmos1
  • 27 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you for your help but there was no mention in ANY of the literature or instructions that you need to do the initial top up by voucher....no mention anywhere at all
Message 7 of 34

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

I agree that's no use to you at all.
Can you not get someone to pop out to your local corner shop for a voucher if you can't get out yourself?

Or you could buy a voucher here online with your Paypal account http://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/o2

Currently using:
Message 8 of 34

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@cosmos1wrote:
Thank you for your help but there was no mention in ANY of the literature or instructions that you need to do the initial top up by voucher....no mention anywhere at all

We know that too, hence why we include it in our advice.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 34

cosmos1
  • 27 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Unfortunately not..but thank you for your kindness in replying. If I had had any idea and 'computer says no' attitude I would not have bothered. Hey ho..I shall forgo any mobile service for a few days and try a third provider. The grass always seemsgreener until.........
Message 10 of 34