Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

top up

joeirish1971
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all ,i just got a text saying that i last topped up in an o2 shop (which i didnt) as it was a newsagents and it says because this is now not possible i can now top up using a credit or debit card , is this a fraud scam to try and get my bank details

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144671 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@joeirish1971 

If there are any links, do not follow them.

See top up help here Guide How to Top Up (PAYG) 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

joeirish1971
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

yeah there was a link at the end but i never clicked on it , than you for the links you provided

Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 144671 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
Safest way to be sure.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

singingbee
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm relieved to see your post. I've just had a text that says " Hello. We noticed you last topped up in one of our shops. Because this isn't possible right now, we'd like to let you know that you can top up your number by calling 4444 for free and using a credit or debit card, through My O2 online or the app, or online at o2.co.uk/webtopup. If you'd like to top up another O2 number, you can also do this by calling 4444 or at o2.co.uk/webtopup."

In fact, all of that looks legit to me, EXCEPT that I don't think I've topped up in a shop for at least 10 years. So my question to everyone here is - should I be worried that someone else is using my number, or has O2 sent out a general text to every single Pay & Go number? If so, they should say so - I've wasted an hour trying to log into my O2 account (it had forgotten every single detail I'd used previously and I had to start from scratch) and the Customer Services number told me they were closed.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Message 5 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123114 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Edited/deleted post as it's not a scam but a blanket text being sent out to PAYG customers. Just what they need right now! NOT!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 144671 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@singingbee 

Actually I'm surprised as anyone but it is a genuine text and the link is good.

I'm also surprised that O2 would send blanket texts such as this esp considering all the scams going around, but anyway, for now, this one is good.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

singingbee
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your reply. A complete own goal, then, O2 - at a time like this, we don't need the extra worry. All they had to do was to say it was a blanket text and might not apply to everyone. Or just re-word it to say that if you usually top up at an O2 shop, you need to find out how to do so by card. Doh.

Message 8 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123114 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

I agree. I genuinely thought it was a new despicable scam. So many have started cashing in on the current crisis @singingbee 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 11

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12101 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions
One to feedback on @Chris_K - maybe consider the wording and timing of these...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 10 of 11