Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

top up question

mim12
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I bought my pay as you go sim in London last year, but since the pandemic I returned to my country and I'm still topping up my o2 sim every month, I wish to keep my sim active till I need to go back to the UK , but I don't want to pay the big buddle of 10£ every month and don't use it at all. 
My question is: will it expire if I don't top it up every month? will my number expire for good? 
If not, will they charged me all the months I didn't top it up? 

thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144547 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions

@mim12 

You only need to top up every 6 months, not every month.

Your phone will still receive calls and texts if you are in an EU country but obviously you will only be able to call or text yourself in the month you have topped up.

You will not be charged for the months you don't top up and you'll be fine when returning in March to top up and use as normal.

You cannot change to a simple payg tariff anymore as O2 don't do them.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
  • 123039 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@mim12 

You need to make a chargeable activity every 6 months and top up once every 999 days to keep your sim active.

Edied to add Guide How to Top Up (PAYG) 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

mim12
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

but does this mean that they must deduct the big buddle of 10£ every month in any case. I've topped up my sim only 10£ every end of month. so If now that I have a few pounds, and It's not enough for the next month, my number will keep beign active , won't it? If yes, for example, I will be able to return in the UK and use my sim in March next year, will they charge me for the arrear months? or i will be only charged for the next month I will top it up for? 

Or Is there any way to change my sim in a standard tariff instead a monthly big buddle? 

thanks for the helps!

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 144547 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions

@mim12 

You only need to top up every 6 months, not every month.

Your phone will still receive calls and texts if you are in an EU country but obviously you will only be able to call or text yourself in the month you have topped up.

You will not be charged for the months you don't top up and you'll be fine when returning in March to top up and use as normal.

You cannot change to a simple payg tariff anymore as O2 don't do them.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 123039 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@mim12 

There is no other PAYG tariff now except Big Bundle. You don't need to top up every month, just make sure you have enough credit on to make a chargeable call or text within a 6 month period.

Be aware though, O2 allow limited usage  when abroad.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2-consumer-fair-usage-policy 

If you use our services outside the UK in our Europe Zone for 63 or more days in any four month period and you cannot demonstrate prevailing use and / or presence in the UK this is likely to be deemed to be an unfair use of our services. In such an event we will notify you and then after two weeks charges will apply (the “Surcharges”). For Pay Monthly and Pay As You Go customers the Surcharges are £4.50/GB for data, 3.3p/minute for calls and 1p/text for texts. These charges will cease to apply if you can subsequently demonstrate prevailing use and / or presence in the UK.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 9

mim12
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks so much for the reply! that was very helpful!

Message 6 of 9

mim12
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you! I think now I get it!

Message 7 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 123039 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@mim12 wrote:

Thank you! I think now I get it!

Good. yahoo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144547 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions

@mim12 wrote:

Thanks so much for the reply! that was very helpful!

You're welcome @mim12 

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9