cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to leave PAYG with refund

Anonymous
Not applicable

After trying out O2 for signal for a few months.. (it’s dire and so are the speeds) I’m going elsewhere.. 

I know some of you have had the email from Marjo about leaving PAYG, forfeiting your number but getting a refund... which is why I’m posting this here..

So I’ve rung 4445 and spoke to ‘capita’ who deal with PAYG on behalf of O2 and they know diddly squat about this situation and quote O2 terms and conditions which state that no refunds will be given. A manager was involved and also refused to refund any amounts.

They even had the cheek to mention that as the community is a forum, that Marjo wouldn’t be working for O2 and therefore couldn’t be speaking on behalf of O2!!!! Get a load of that!!!

So I’ve emailed Marjo for his input and we’ll see where we go from here!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

For the benefit of others, this is the info given to Marjo from O2 themselves.

We shared some info earlier with you via PM related to PAYG refunds:

If a customer no longer wishes to stay with O2 and they have remaining credit left on their account, the credit can be refunded in the form of a cheque. The customer would need to call the pre pay team to request this.

Member Curmudgeon had a good question related to this (cheers!), so I'm sharing the answer we got with all you regular members so you have the same info. slight_smile

Q: At what point does the customer have to call to request the refund?

A: The PAYG team confirmed that the refund can only be processed on an active account. As soon as the refund is processed the account is disconnected and the number can’t be ported out to a different network.

If the customer would like to leave O2 and keep the number they would need to use all their remaining credit before porting out.

When the customer calls to get a PAC Code they are advised that if they don’t use the remaining credit before the number transfer, it will be lost as O2 can't issue a refund on disconnected pre-pay account.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 19

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@Anonymous just for the record @Marjo is a she. Good luck on getting a refund.

@Marjo was providing information given to her from O2 so what the manager told you was utter tripe. Yet again showing how customer services are clueless.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sincere apologies to Marjo for the missexing!!

It’ll be interesting to see where this goes. I didn’t know that 4445 customer service wasn’t filled by O2!

Message 4 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
All of O2 customer service was outsourced to Capita about 4 or 5 years ago.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 19

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous! No worries, due to my foreign name I get this a lot. grin Sorry to hear about the confusion with your refund. The information provided earlier is from our O2 Gurus. I'll drop you a PM to discuss further so we can get it sorted for you.

Message 6 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, a week in and neither Marjo nor I have made any progress.

I’m not sure whether O2 should be claiming this refund service is available when quite clearly very few people at O2 & nobody at capita have any clue about it whatsoever.

Will keep updating as and when!

Message 7 of 19

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Morning @Anonymous, looking into this - will drop you a PM when I get an update!

Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve been onto them a few times trying to get somewhere but all of them are towing the O2 t&c line..

appreciate your efforts @Marjo

Message 9 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

So @Marjo has managed to get the social media team to give me a call and sort this, but the news is not good.

Refunds when leaving O2 PAYG are NOT given. You can port your number away but any credit remaining is lost. The social media team are at a loss as to where this information has come from.

They categorically state that O2 PAYG has never given refunds when leaving the network and there are no plans to in the future. 

They did ask me if I wanted to switch to a sim only tariff, credit my PAYG balance to it and also a £30 goodwill gesture. (which was a great idea but I doubt if I’d use 6gig data in a year, let alone a month & the signal is not wonderful here)

John at the social media team was very friendly, very apologetic and very helpful! 

(PAYG do give refunds if a voucher is credited to a wrong account but only if  you ring up immediately after the voucher was credited)

Message 10 of 19