Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracker use with O2 SIM

Rob_modelflyer
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have obtained a tracker for use with model aircraft (in case the aircraft is lost), which came with an O2 sim card. The instructions for the tracker indicate that text messages from O2 (e.g. alerts regarding low remaining credit or impending disconnection of service) can be forwarded to my mobile phone, since they cannot be accessed through the tracker itself. However this requires that I provide the tracker with the telephone number from which such a text message may be sent otherwise the tracker will reject any such call. I would be grateful if anyone can provide information that will help with this, please.

I can similarly request that the tracker obtain details of the remaining credit on my account for the sim card. The text message obtained from O2 with the information will then be forwarded to my mobile as above. The instructions for the tracker again require that I provide the tracker with the telephone number to call in order to obtain a text message in response with the details of the remaining credit. The instruction also indicates that a code should be provided to the tracker which will be sent to O2 in order to initiate the required text message. I can find no information about this on the O2 website so, again, I would be very grateful if anyone can provide any information about this, thank you.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I would contact the seller of the tracker for assistance 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144739 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions
Your balance and top ups can be managed in your MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2
You’ll need to put the tracker sim in a phone first to set it up then afterwards it can all be done online.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Although we have been told that forwarding is available on P&G I still have doubts....

Message 4 of 13

ste064
Level 3: Thinker
  • 85 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Call forwarding only works to voicemail on pay & go on o2.

Message 5 of 13

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Rob_modelflyer Did the seller help you ?

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 13

Rob_modelflyer
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I did try the Tracker provider initially, anticipating, since they provide O2 SIMs with every tracker, that they would have a very straightforward and quick solution. Unfortunately their response indicated that they didn't understand the nature of the problem and needed to discuss this with me. I was reluctant to enter discussions with them by telephone and believe that their obvious inability to provide a quick solution means that they do not have a solution, which I find very disappointing.

I have also tried an online "chat" with an O2 representative but the person I was in contact with did not appear to understand the nature of the problem and also appeared reluctant to provide a telphone number that I could use for this purpose. They did however help me with information that allowed me to set up an O2 account and add my tracker SIM to that account so that I can monitor my current credit balance. My concern is that I may approach the time when the SIM will be disconnected without realising this and with no means to receive any text messages from O2 to alert me to this situation.

I have attempted to test this function by using the mobile number of a family member instead of the number for O2 that I need to provide. I had them send a text message that I hoped would be forwarded but so far this has been unsuccessful. I have yet to try using the mobile number in international format i.e. with the country code included, which omission may be the cause of this function to be unsuccessful so far.

Message 7 of 13

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Rob_modelflyer Ok what is the sim they supplied and tariff it is on? 

Apple Watch series 4

Message 8 of 13

Rob_modelflyer
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The SIM provided with the tracker is the O2 classic pay as you go SIM on the respective tariff for this SIM type. I understand that this is the type of SIM always provided with the tracker although the supplier indicated that a different type of SIM could be used if required.

Message 9 of 13

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

If you have  topped it up that credit stays there take it out of tracker put in a phone send a text every 5 months (6 at most)  that will keep it active 

Apple Watch series 4

Message 10 of 13