Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG SIM for Nokia 3310e - doesn't work

1anson
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My interest in the Nokia 3310 was rekindled after the release of the new model. I have an original 3310e phone which I dusted off.  I ordered an O2 PAYG SIM card, as it was advertised as working with ANY phone.  It doesn't work with the 3310e; it seems to go through a self-test, then switches off the phone after 5 seconds.  Other SIM cards are rejected by the phone but it doesn't switch off afterwards.  The SIM is OK as it does work with the Nokia 6210 and 6310i.  Is there a 'fix' for this, or should I just retire it?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It should work assuming it's an O2 phone or unlocked, so sounds faulty.
You could check the SIM tray and contacts are clean but otherwise probably not worth spending too much time on.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
It could be that the SIM not registered first so is not working as it can take a while for new Sims to register once you know the SIM is working you could try again I have 5 Nokia 3310 and2 3410 and they work also have a nokia 6130 that's works need new battery and a nokia 6180 that works aswel
Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It should work assuming it's an O2 phone or unlocked, so sounds faulty.
You could check the SIM tray and contacts are clean but otherwise probably not worth spending too much time on.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 10

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @1anson, did any of the suggestions above help? You seem to have a nice Nokia collection, do you have any other models than the 3310, 6210 and 6310i?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 10

1anson
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you, I've had the phone so long, I thought it was unlocked but you've probably hit on the problem.  I'll get an unlock code online from Orange. Thanks again!

Message 5 of 10

1anson
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi EmilieT, yes I have an nk402 and an nk702 but for a bit of history, I also have a Nokia 101, it gives 'substantial' a new meaning.  Moving away from Nokia I have a Sony CM-H333 which is better known as the 'Mars Bar' as it was about the same dimensions as a Mars Bar (at that time).  I still have these old phones because I have a large loft and an understanding wife.  Thanks to everyone who has tried to help with my problem. Regards, 1anson

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Let us know how it goes...

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

1anson
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi EmilieT just a quick update.  Well, first the 3310 is an Orange phone.  I am the original owner and the contract was in my name, so EE online said it could unlock the phone with that info.  I duly completed the online boxes only to be told that it didn't recognise the mobile number and would I give them the IMEI.  I did this from the original box label as well as from the phone's onboard info, however, it came back as a 6650 phone.  I thought IMEI's were not recycled unlike phone numbers.  I don't know what's happened but have a suspicion that maybe my SIM problem relates to the IMEI which seems to no longer relate to my phone.  An interesting exercise but it's left more questions than answers.  Again thank for your help.  Regards 1anson

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@1anson

Might be worthwhile taking it into an EE shop and see what they say.

As far as I understand it too, IMEIs are unique so that sounds like a programming mistake.

As you seem to be a collector you'll know the phones division was sold by Nokia Corporation to Microsoft and then bought back by a company formed by ex Nokia phone division execs called HMD global who now licence the Nokia name to market phones.

You could try contacting them http://www.hmdglobal.com/contact/

Message 9 of 10

1anson
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I managed to get an unlock code for the 3310e but when I ran it, it came back with a message, Not Restricted; so it looks like my 3310e is broken and is now just a piece of retro art. Thank you for all your help and advice in try to sort this. Regards 1anson 

Message 10 of 10