cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Pay As You Go £15 25GB with EU Roaming April 2024.

Jus888
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi i purchased a Pay as you go sim in the Uk with European bundle for calls and text and 25gb Data. I'm not getting any signal, i have tried everything. If i do a manual search for a network i can get on to Odido, which allows me to call and show i have data. If use the data first i can get a 4G signal and get online however as soon as i make a call the data stop and i no longer have access to any data. I've changed the APN to pay as you go settings etc.. The only thing i can find is that the o2 sim drops to 3g to call and thats why i loose data as the data here is on only on 4G or higher.  So the plan I purchased doesn't work here in Europe. Any help appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149369 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions

@Jus888 

There's no 4g calling with PAYG which is needed in many EU countries.

4G for data should be restored after the call but you may have to flick airplane mode on and off.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 8

Jus888
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry if this reply is a duplicate I did reply early in but don't see it... First a thank you M15 for the info.  After a call the data doesn't turn back on by itself so you idea of Airplane mode works,  it's a pain in XXXX to have to do this everytime. O2 EU roaming states the same service as being in the UK which is obviously not the case for me. They must know this issue.. shame on them to sell it so.  But thanks for the info that confirms my original thoughts.

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 149369 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions

@Jus888 

It's all due to the lack of 4g calling issue. It's a real PITA!

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 8

Jus888
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just had a idea and it worked for me. Android phone. Go to Settings, Connections, Mobile networks, Network Mode. Change it to 2g/3g (auto connect). I can call and don't loose data services and vice versa. So I can roam now like I'm supposed to. Hope this helps anyone in the EU Roaming on a Pay as you go sim.only. Also usefull info make sure you have the correct APN setting. Search Google for O2 APN settings for PAYG.

Here's where I found them https://second-handphones.com/knowledge-centre/post/apn-settings-o2.

Thanks for help M15.

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 149369 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions

@Jus888 

It's a workaround but obviously you won't get 4g data and in countries with no 3g, it will fail completely.

Message 6 of 8

Jus888
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Agree M15.. only a work around. But how long is a piece of string... Only constant is change and time. I'll get a refund when I get to the UK, and change to a different network,  I travel alot so I need something better and more reliable in Europe and in USA to meet my needs without spending the earth. Any ideas are welcome!!! Was on Three for over 2.5yrs and this month they hit me with alot of roaming charges hence the try on O2. I'll keep searching...

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 149369 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions

@Jus888 

Look into Vodafone.

I'm not sure what they offer for PAYG roaming but contract terms are the same as O2 for EU roaming.

Message 8 of 8