cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving mobile broadband SIM to a different device?

Mike10500
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

Is it possible to move the SIM from a Huwaii mobile broadband device to an iPhone?

I've tried this after my Huwaii exploded (hint: don't leave them in full sun in a conservatory!), and the SIM is registeed and connected to O2 3G but appears to be blocking enabling using the "personal hotspot" function

Is there some setting that I can change to make it work, or do I need O2 to change something?  Or is it a complete non-starter?

If this isn't possible, is there any way to get a refund on my unused data?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Mike10500 

Check your iPhone meets these requirements too. 

If you’re a Pay As You Go customer, you can now tether up to five devices on your iPhone if you have:

• an iPhone 5 or newer
  • iOS 10.1 or newer - to update your iOS software, go to Settings, then tap General, Software update to check if any update is available
  • your carrier setting as version O2 26.1 – to update your carrier settings, you need to go to Settings, then tap GeneralAbout and, if available, a pop up should appear to change the carrier setting.

Once you've done this, you can connect to the hotspot the same way you'd connect to any wifi network. You can also pair devices over Bluetooth, or use a USB cable.

Also worth trying the PAYG apn.

APN : payandgo.o2.co.uk

Username : vertigo

Password : password

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, if you are referring to mobile broadband dongles then the SIM card in them is a data card and cannot be used in a mobile phone. For that you need a new SIM card for a mobile phones, not a dongle.

You might be able to transfer the credit from your mobile broadband data card to your new SIM card for your iPhone, but you will have to call O2 Customer Care and you will probably need to tell them the numbers on the back of both SIM cards so they that they can do it.

😀
Message 2 of 8

Mike10500
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Philip

Thanks for the reply - I will contact O2 and see if they're able to send a replacement SIM that will work in the phone and transfer the data accross

Just to be clear - I am not expecting the phone to work as a phone - I was hoping that by moving the SIM accross I'd be able to set it up to work as a wifi hotspot exactly like the broken dongle did.

The SIM does seem to work in that the phone connects to the 3G network and can use data, just won't allow me to enabled the wifi hotspot - but I guess its not quite as simple as I hoped.

Out of interest what's the difference technically between a phone sSIM and a data card?

Thanks

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Mike10500 

For the hotspot to work on an iPhone you need to set the data apn to "idata.o2.co.uk"

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Mike10500
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the suggestion - but unfortunately it doesn't seem to help. Tried idata.o2.co.uk and m-bb.o2.co.uk but neither seems to enable the hotspot
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Mike10500 

Check your iPhone meets these requirements too. 

If you’re a Pay As You Go customer, you can now tether up to five devices on your iPhone if you have:

• an iPhone 5 or newer
  • iOS 10.1 or newer - to update your iOS software, go to Settings, then tap General, Software update to check if any update is available
  • your carrier setting as version O2 26.1 – to update your carrier settings, you need to go to Settings, then tap GeneralAbout and, if available, a pop up should appear to change the carrier setting.

Once you've done this, you can connect to the hotspot the same way you'd connect to any wifi network. You can also pair devices over Bluetooth, or use a USB cable.

Also worth trying the PAYG apn.

APN : payandgo.o2.co.uk

Username : vertigo

Password : password

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Mike10500
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That was it - thank you!

I was using an old iPhone 4s.  Borrowed an iPhone 6 and it works perfectly (without needing to change access points or anything even)

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You're welcome

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8