Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miss-directed payment!

grahamm7
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have put a pay as you go O2 SIM in my Samsung Tablet (it takes SIM cards and can make phone calls and text messages).  I went to pay on the O2 Web site but it asked me for my mobile phone number for a Top Up.

Although My O2 web site account knows the number of the SIM card number that is registered on my account. Unfortunately I put in the phone number of my old SIM card.  Why it should ask me for my number when it is registered I have no idea.  So it looks like I have lost my top up of £10.  I did speak to an O2 person but lost contact and didn't seem to be able to sort it out.  Looking on the site I could add my old SIM card number but only if I can receive a security code.  I have lost confidence on top up my phone using my credit card.  Also it seems to me I have to make sure I know the number even though it is the only number registered on my account.  (So why didn't it reject my top up against a number not registered??). Or top up by phone and make sure I give the right number.  Or make a call from myu Tablet which I don't use as my mobile phone (I have a mobile phone with Virgin).  The tablet it is a back up to that I could make a phone call or send a text message in emergancy etc.  Any ideas O2 and how I can retrieve my top up of £10?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144425 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Unfortunately you can't get your top up back if it's already been applied to a different number.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144425 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Unfortunately you can't get your top up back if it's already been applied to a different number.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122977 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@grahamm7I find topping up by phone using a credit or debit card, is by far the easiest way.

Particularly once you have registered the card you want to use.

It's automated and once you enter the number you wish to top up, it repeats that number and asks you to confirm it's correct.(so a double check is there as a safeguard)

I can't understand why you would think the system 'would remember the number'? You can top up ANY O2 mobile using a card registered to your account. I regularly top up my son's mobile and until recently, my daughter in laws..

Both different numbers and certainly not mine.

So if I top up using the wrong number, I have lost that top up. It's as simple as that.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 6

grahamm7
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I had a previous SIM card with a number.  This was in my old phone at one time.  However when I purchased a Samsung Tablet I purchased a new SIM (pay as you go with O2).  This number is on MY O2 web site in my account.  Yet when I went to top up it appeared to me it was asking me for my number.  As I don't use the table primarily for phone calls I don't know its number very well.  By mistake I entered my old number from the previous SIM card (which was also O2 pay as you go).  I thought some how that 02 could redeem this situation and get the £10 onto my new SIM card/phone number.  I should still have the SIM card but I can't find it at the moment.  (They are very small cards).  In the midst of all of this Tesco are stopping Email support (every little helps!).  So I have changed my Email to my Google Email for access to most of my accounts on Web sites! My O2 account is now changed over ok.  So ok my mistake I put £10 on a previous pay as you go 02 SIM/phone number.  Shame doesn't look as if I can recover it from 02 and get it onto my new pay as you go.  Now I am apprehensive to put money on to my new pay as you go in case I make another mistake.

Message 4 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122977 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@grahamm7You first top up on a new pay as you go sim card has to be by voucher

See other ways to top up here... Scroll down to PAYG..https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-can-I-pay-my-bill-or-Ways-to-pay-guidelines/ba-p/101...

I don't think you will make that mistake again....so think about carrying on with your card, It's so easy wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 6

jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

You could always ask o2 to replace the lost sim card as long as it hasn't been deactive too long.

Message 6 of 6