Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Top-up keeps rejecting my cards

Daedalus
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I had Auto Top-up enabled on my account for a long time, and it has worked fine taking funds from my debit card when needed. But a few weeks ago, my card was kept by an ATM for unknown reasons, so my bank issued a new card with a different number. Naturally, the next Auto Top-up failed, and I got an email saying my card details were incorrect. So I logged in, updated the details with the new card details, but it was rejected after the "verifying with your bank" step. Odd, I thought, so I tried to enter the details again. Same thing. I then tried with my credit card, same thing again. Since this was happening at the bank verification stage, and the failure page had the title "Fraud Declined", I called my bank to see what the problem was, thinking that there might be a security issue with my new card. After a lot of puzzled checking, they finally said they can see the transactions had been approved, but were then blocked by O2, and that I should contact them.

I rang O2, hold times were reported as greater than 30 minutes, so that was clearly not an option. I then tried the web chat, and got an agent who started looking into the issue. The agent asked me to verify the last 4 digits of the card used. I did that, and the agend said they didn't match. After a bit of confusion, it turns out the agent was looking for my old debit card details, which I had replaced with the new card's details and didn't know. I had clearly explained the situation to him, but he didn't seem that interested in what I was saying, since he insisted that he needed the old card details. Eventually he asked me to delete the Auto Top-up, set a new one up and try again. I had my doubts but went with it. When I did that, the card was rejected before it even opened the bank's checking page, and when I told him this, guess what... He asked me to confirm the last 4 digits again, and told me again that they were wrong because they weren't the old card's digits, resulting in us going around the very same circle again. Once I got him to understand (again) that it was a new card, he finally switched to the generic script of logging out and back in, deleting cache and cookies and so on. Pointless stuff, but I humoured him anyway. This at least got it back to the bank checking point, but it was still rejected after that.

At this point, I had spent well over half an hour going around in circles with someone who didn't know what he was doing and wasn't paying attention to what I was saying, and had wasted £4 of my very little remaining credit (I am abroad for Christmas and was unsure if I would be able to even top up at all) on the phone to the bank only to learn the issue was with O2 in the first place. I asked for the matter to be escalated so that it could be investigated properly, but I haven't received any details of a support ticket, or anything else on the matter since yesterday, so I suspect that request was ignored as well.

I appreciate that support staff are probably overwhelmed with people with new Christmas phones, but that pressure could surely be reduced by having support staff understand their systems and with the ability to carry out necessary checks instead of wasting everyone's time. In the meantime, today I was able to do a single top-up with the debit card in question without any issues, but Auto Top-up still rejects my cards with the same report.

Sorry about the long post, but the web chat agent has ensured that I'm far more annoyed about this than I might otherwise have been.

TL;DR: Auto Top-up feature refuses to accept any cards I try to use. Bank has authorised the transaction so the issue is with O2. Web help agent clearly didn't know how to deal with the situation, but continued wasting my time regardless. I asked for an escalation yesterday but have received no confirmation or related communication today. Auto Top-up is still broken today, though manual top-up with the card works fine.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144189 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Daedalus 

Suggest you call customer services on 4445 at 8.00am to avoid long waiting times. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Daedalus , sorry to hear you've been having some trouble with setting up the auto topup. Did you make any progress with this since you last posted?

Message 3 of 6

Daedalus
  • 7 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

Hi @Daedalus , sorry to hear you've been having some trouble with setting up the auto topup. Did you make any progress with this since you last posted?

Hi @Marjo ,

Nope, Auto top-up is stilll not working, and I have still not heard anything from anyone at O2 regarding this issue.

@MI5 Thanks for the suggestion, but 8am isn't a convenient time for me, nor should it have to be.

Message 4 of 6

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Daedalus , sorry to hear it's still not working. I'm happy to get one of our Gurus to take a closer look in case they can help with this. I'll need a few additional details to be able to pass this on, so I'll drop you a Private Message here on the forum shortly. Hang in there! slight_smile

Message 5 of 6

Daedalus
  • 7 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just a quick reply to say that, after a couple of calls and more confused helpdesk staff, this issue was sorted at some point, and today I was able to add an automatic top-up to my account. Thanks for sorting that out. Some other issues have cropped up now, but I'll open a separate thread for that...
Message 6 of 6