Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi and 4G Calling with recent Huawei phones

evantkh
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Has anyone tried to use WiFi or 4G Calling with any recent Huawei phones? If yes, does it require O2 firmware? or does Huawei provide carrier-branded firmware anyway?

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @evantkh it's CLT-L29 8.1.0.102(C782), but no file manager is giving me access to see those files even as read only would I need to go in via a laptop or is there a developer option or dialler code to view?

Message 31 of 42

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @evantkh it's CLT-L29 8.1.0.102(C782), but no file manager is giving me access to see those files even as read only would I need to go in via a laptop or is there a developer option or dialler code to view?

@Anonymous

Use a third party one such as ES File Explorer, and then type the path directly.

Message 32 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @evantkh I downloaded a root browser in the end . There are about 60 config files in the APK many of which relate to Volte so looks like the phone is ready for any configuration the carrier provisions via the Sim. I will chase up with 3.

Message 33 of 42

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks @evantkh I downloaded a root browser in the end . There are about 60 config files in the APK many of which relate to Volte so looks like the phone is ready for any configuration the carrier provisions via the Sim. I will chase up with 3.

@Anonymous

Check network code 23420. From what I know 3 only allows VoLTE on certain bands but not all so please check.

Message 34 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@evantkh wrote:

@Anonymous

Check network code 23420. From what I know 3 only allows VoLTE on certain bands but not all so please check.

I found the correct 3g 23420 xml config file @evantkh and it certainly has the volte toggle as a true/ false

But I  don't know enough about XML to be able to tell whether this is band specific. I'm guessing it may be, as I am (unfortunately ) in a band 3 1800mhz LTE area and I think that 3 still only offer volte on Band 20 800Mhz, and still only on 3 branded and sold devices. It doesn't help that this model is very new and 3 may not have got round to provisioning the SIM. Which isn't showing as provisioned or provisionable  on the 6130 dialler testing menu for the SIM even though there is a volte line showing just no toggle..  I only know what band I'm on from using the LTE Discover App as I still haven't found a way to even access that information from the phone itself, nor select the preferred  band  like you can on an iPhone.

Three were limited help as the guy I spoke to said I'm NOT in a volte area despite the coverage checker saying I am. I'll try again on Monday to see if I can get through to UK 2nd or 3rd tier TS for a more difiinative answer but there's no point trying that on the weekend.

Thanks for the help so far.

Message 35 of 42

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@evantkh wrote:

@Anonymous

I found the correct 3g 23420 xml config file @evantkh and it certainly has the volte toggle as a true/ false

But I  don't know enough about XML to be able to tell whether this is band specific. I'm guessing it may be, as I am (unfortunately ) in a band 3 1800mhz LTE area and I think that 3 still only offer volte on Band 20 800Mhz, and still only on 3 branded and sold devices. It doesn't help that this model is very new and 3 may not have got round to provisioning the SIM. Which isn't showing as provisioned or provisionable  on the 6130 dialler testing menu for the SIM even though there is a volte line showing just no toggle..  I only know what band I'm on from using the LTE Discover App as I still haven't found a way to even access that information from the phone itself, nor select the preferred  band  like you can on an iPhone.

Three were limited help as the guy I spoke to said I'm NOT in a volte area despite the coverage checker saying I am. I'll try again on Monday to see if I can get through to UK 2nd or 3rd tier TS for a more difiinative answer but there's no point trying that on the weekend.

Thanks for the help so far.

@Anonymous

Try adding an APN, type ims as the name and APN. Enable IPv4/IPv6 mode. See if you can get an IPv6 from the network.This APN should be for VoLTE but not internet so you will not be able to connect to the internet. After that, type ims in the APN type and see if it works. If it still doesn't, you can revert the APN settings by resetting it to default.

Message 36 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@evantkh wrote:

Try adding an APN, type ims as the name and APN. Enable IPv4/IPv6 mode. See if you can get an IPv6 fom the network.This APN should be for VoLTE but not internet so you will not be able to connect to the internet. After that, type ims in the APN type and see if it works. If it still doesn't, you can revert the APN settings by resetting it to default.

HI @evantkh i can't edit the three APN as it's greyed out, but did create a new one as you suggested - this allowed calls but no internet as you predicted but no volte as the call dropped to 3g -  what do you mean by getting an IPv6 from the network? When I save the APN with ims in the APN type it deletes itself.

Message 37 of 42

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@evantkh wrote:

Try adding an APN, type ims as the name and APN. Enable IPv4/IPv6 mode. See if you can get an IPv6 fom the network.This APN should be for VoLTE but not internet so you will not be able to connect to the internet. After that, type ims in the APN type and see if it works. If it still doesn't, you can revert the APN settings by resetting it to default.

HI @evantkh i can't edit the three APN as it's greyed out, but did create a new one as you suggested - this allowed calls but no internet as you predicted but no volte as the call dropped to 3g -  what do you mean by getting an IPv6 from the network? When I save the APN with ims in the APN type it deletes itself.

@Anonymous

The APN "ims" is used for the VoLTE network and is common across carriers(just the name, not the actual APN).

When I talk about IPv6, it is just O2 and Three are both using IPv6 addressing, some foreign networks do use IPv4. Ignore it if you do not understand it.

Some devices do not show APNs of "ims" type but some do. It could possibly make it looks like the device deletes it. I don't have the source code for specifics of what Huawei is doing for the APN so better safe to reset the APN settings if it does not work.

It is a practice used by a foreign ISP if VoLTE toggle does not work (Reference: http://www.sunmobile.com.hk/eng/value01/571.jhtml). However, what I think is it really need the device firmware to register properly to the carrier's VoLTE network and requires proper firmware support. Otherwise, it could be either unstable or simply not able to register or the worst case the device doesn't think it supports the VoLTE of that carrier and not even trying.

Let's say Huawei Mate 9(I mean the AL00 model here), a firmware update to EMUI 8.0 stops the VoLTE from working in Hong Kong(not the market the device was sold) but it did before upgrading. The toggle is showing but even if the VoLTE toggle in settings is switched to "turned on", it does not work an calls dropped to 3G. After the few firmware updates, the VoLTE icon suddenly showed up and calls did not drop on 3G. My Mate 10 device coming with EMUI 8.0 has no problem from the beginning with the same carrier(not the one of the URL above).

It is fun that my Huawei Mate 10 device(ALP-AL00) have worked possibly uncertified in Hong Kong. I have no idea whether it is on supported list at the back but not shown to the public. Some carriers do not even provide such a list and you need to contact support for a particular device. You may be lucky to have a device working uncertified but you do take a risk that it may break when you install the next firmware update. What carriers are showing on their website are those devices that are really supported and you can report as problems if it breaks. Otherwise, you will possibly be just unlucky to have the VoLTE broken without any support provided to help you.

If you really need VoLTE across countries, I think iPhone and possibly Windows devices(possibly other standardized firmware across the world) are handling switching between countries properly but do not expect too much on open source OS like Android and when the manufacturer ships different firmwares to different countries.

Message 38 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @evantkh 

Thanks very much indeed for that very helpful advice.

I spoke to 3 second line TS - will more correctly the first line tech support guy that I was talking to spoke to second line and apparently 3's aproach to volt is as follows.

Assuming you have a volte capable handset and it's been correctly provisioned then you will be able to make volte calls only under certain circumstances. If you are in a strong Band 3 1800mhz LTE area then your phone will default to that and no volte calls will be made. If the area you are in has strong band 20 signals at 800mhz which diminish indoors then the phone will switch to volte calling automatically when you make a call. There is no way of isolating or enabling or forcing volte otherwise. So in order to test whether it works you have to go to a strong band 20 area and try there. I think this is because 3 have very limited band 20 capacity, so are trying to restrict volte calling to those people who meet the criteria but live in poor 4G inside the house areas. And this is how they are selling it, rather than on call quality or the ability to remain on 4g whilst on a call 

Thanks again for all the help.

Message 39 of 42

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @evantkh 

Thanks very much indeed for that very helpful advice.

I spoke to 3 second line TS - will more correctly the first line tech support guy that I was talking to spoke to second line and apparently 3's aproach to volt is as follows.

Assuming you have a volte capable handset and it's been correctly provisioned then you will be able to make volte calls only under certain circumstances. If you are in a strong Band 3 1800mhz LTE area then your phone will default to that and no volte calls will be made. If the area you are in has strong band 20 signals at 800mhz which diminish indoors then the phone will switch to volte calling automatically when you make a call. There is no way of isolating or enabling or forcing volte otherwise. So in order to test whether it works you have to go to a strong band 20 area and try there. I think this is because 3 have very limited band 20 capacity, so are trying to restrict volte calling to those people who meet the criteria but live in poor 4G inside the house areas. And this is how they are selling it, rather than on call quality or the ability to remain on 4g whilst on a call 

Thanks again for all the help.

@Anonymous

I think you have some misconception of VoLTE. It is 3 restricting VoLTE on band 20. VoLTE by standard connects in the same way on any band. Handsets connect to the ims APN in the same way, gets P-CSCF address on the same way. When you look at the architecture, the IMS network is seperated and VoLTE runs on IP. However, it does require your device's VoLTE stack to work with the operator to have VoLTE working. It is not something like just looking at whether the phone supports a particular band or not but requires the manufacturer and the operator working and testing.

The fun thing I see in the UK is ISPs make it an additional service which is supposed to be the intended design of LTE. It is actually not LTE does not have voice but dropping to 3G for calls is a transition.

(Reference: http://www.3gpp.org/news-events/3gpp-news/1268-Dispelling-LTE-Myths)

Do you have any SIM of another carrier to try?

Message 40 of 42