Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS/MMS over O2 WiFi calling

seanbean
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

With the UK banks about to implement SMS/MMS texting to distribute verification codes for online purchases - what are O2 doing to enable SMS/MMS over O2 WiFi calling inline with other network providers (e.g. EE)?  

Or should we now consider switching to another network provider?

Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Sadly no one on the forum works for O2 so non of us have the answer to this.

Maybe @Chris_K may be able to shed some light on it, but if you rely solely on WiFi calling to be connected it might be time to review your network to one with better coverage for your needs
Message 2 of 59

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@PhoneChanger wrote:
Sadly no one on the forum works for O2 so non of us have the answer to this.

Maybe @Chris_K may be able to shed some light on it, but if you rely solely on WiFi calling to be connected it might be time to review your network to one with better coverage for your needs

Amen to that. There has been no update to texting over wifi which we were told was coming this year. August already so I wouldn't be holding on waiting for it when other networks already implement it.

Message 3 of 59

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@seanbean wrote:

With the UK banks about to implement SMS/MMS texting to distribute verification codes for online purchases - what are O2 doing to enable SMS/MMS over O2 WiFi calling inline with other network providers (e.g. EE)?

Wifi Calling has been a fantastic addition to our network and we can’t wait to bring SMS over Wifi to our network too, but it’s incredibly complex to implement and requires exhaustive testing. We hope to see it available in 2020, but we’ll keep customers updated as and when there's progress or further info.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 4 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying @Chris_K , good to know that this is something o2 is still working on (even if it seems to be taking an eternity) - it really does seem to be the one glaring piece of functionality that's lacking these days, especially as I see eSIM compatibility for iPhone etc. has recently been announced.

Let's hope that it's sooner rather than later in 2020 slight_smile

Message 5 of 59

seanbean
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi Chris, thanks for the response/update. For those of us living in the rural community, with no O2 signal at home - this will be a significant and game changing capability.
Message 6 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wondered if there's been any further development on this recently...? Have noticed that from today, (probably in-line with Apple's latest iOS & Carrier Settings update yesterday), Sky Mobile (which uses the o2 Network), has now released WiFi Calling with both SMS and MMS available, rather than just Voice Calls. nerd

I appreciate that Sky might have a seperate network "core" to o2, but surely it seems a bit bizarre now to have a MVNO having more network features than its host network! thinking

I fully understand that this is just a customer forum, but if anyone has any information they're able to share, such as a time frame more specific than "in 2020" then feel free to spill the beans! smiley

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/wi-fi-calling

"...Once you're set up, you can send texts, picture messages and make calls in areas with poor signal - as long as there's a Wi-Fi network available..."

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204040

Message 7 of 59

Juzza999
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just to keep this one ticking over.....any updates?  I live in Norfolk, so desperate!!

Message 8 of 59

BadgerOnelung
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Bump....

I work offshore so do not have cellular signal for 2 weeks and need SMS over WiFi to log into my bank account.
Message 9 of 59

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@BadgerOnelung 

SMS over Wifi is still not available with O2. I will tag @Chris_K to the thread for any update.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 59