Did you mean: 

Phone calls with the use of covering numbers

HannahM1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

Some time ago, BBC announced that phone calls coming from abroad using so-called covering numbers ( being used to hide a true caller's number) will be blocked by operators. Could you please let me know whether O2 is going to do that? If so, when it will be? I am asking because my mother receives such phone calls regularly and frequently. She is an older person, almost 90 years old, and receiving such phone calls is very stressful for her.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@HannahM1 

All operators along with OfCom are working on this and I would expect this to happen next year, once the technology is tested and worked.  As a lot of call centres and even Government agencies don't present a real number but a fake DDI when presented to phones from both the UK and Overseas

o2 will announce this on here and on Social Media as will OfCom 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@HannahM1 

We're all customers here and have no idea at all what O2's intentions or abilities are I'm afraid.

I'll tag out forum admin team to see if they can find out any details for you @Martin-O2 @RafaC @lewys-gp 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 4

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi @MI5@HannahM1 I'll see what I can find out around this one. 🙂

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 4