cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel Opt Out

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I just switched from pay monthly to payg, and I found in my Bolt Ons list something called "O2 Travel Opt Out". I assume this gives me a different tariff from normal when abroad. Where can I find details of the tariffs with and without this opt out?

Thanks

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

From April 7th O2 Travel is changing. Within Europe you will be charged £1.99 per day which includes texts and calls back to the UK and data.

All good if you make lots of calls or use data. However the £1.99 per day is triggered by sending a simple text. If you only send the odd text message then it makes sense to opt out and pay the international rates.

Message 11 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just stung with £1.99 twice for sending texts from France. I was unaware of the change in tariff and therefore any opt out. Can anyone tell me how and when customers were informed of this change?

Message 12 of 42

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Texts and emails have been sent to every customer who has the o2 travel bolt on.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you M15, but I never asked for a bolt on, only after sending the texts was the bolt on added for those days. You are saying that everyone would have been informed otherwise how can you opt out of something you are not aware of?

Message 14 of 42

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The travel bolt on is usually automatically added to everyone's account.
It sits dormant until you travel abroad and then charges you on the days your phone is used when in another EU country.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 42

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
To opt out of O2 Travel text NOTRAVEL to 23336, but remember you will be paying standard rates for everything
http://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel/standard-charges

Currently using:
Message 16 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you again. I just checked the Travel Update on their website and it is very misleading as it says "if you are already registered and opted in to O2 travel..."  From which you logically assume you have to opt in before you travel. It says further down you can opt out, but from the above wording the implication is that you have already opted in., I.e. Not automatically. 

Message 17 of 42

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

We kew this was coming but every one was informed by email (maybe junk folder) but certainly by text when you register on an overseas network.

Message 18 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

However this would assume that IF everyone is automatically opted in...then everyone should have got a text or email.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 42

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Default is opt in and whenever I leave thisd godforsaken country I get a text.

Message 20 of 42