cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Recycle Is A SCAM!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to send a warning to anyone thinking of using O2 Recycle.

My situation was I saw the O2 Recycle when thinking of upgrading and when I honestly filled out the recylce valuation, it convinced me to get a new iPhone 7. Anyway, they offered me £214 for my iPhone 6 which was in immaculate condition, with no damage at all. Anyway, I send it off to them and then turn around and say we are not offering £214 anymore, its £40 take it or leave it. They claimed there was damage to the screen, which there isnt. I requested the phone sent back to me and eventually, it turned up. There is no damage to the phone at all. They also decided to throw away the original box I sent with it, so no I cant even sell it.

I am considering cancelling my contract with them as this service is a complete and utter scam.

Message 1 of 138
137 REPLIES 137

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’m starting to wonder if it’s only if you recycle it online as I have used the service several times over the past 7 years & have only had one bad experience. I always recycle my phones in store & get top price for my devices bar one time where they took 50% off the quote.
Message 101 of 138

Slice
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Could be a good point, I doubt they test it the same in the store, plus they have to look you in the eye, face to face makes it harder to reduce the amount.

Message 102 of 138

Anonymous
Not applicable

No all they do Instore is look at the outside casing of the phone & screen then look up the recycle prices on their computer then that’s it

Message 103 of 138

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

No all they do Instore is look at the outside casing of the phone & screen then look up the recycle prices on their computer then that’s it

I think you have hit the nail on the head @Anonymous . When you are face to face with people they can't make up lies about your phone.

However when it's sent away, it's dealt with faceless people who can claim any number of things wrong with your device. I think it's a scam due to the fact that when pushed... O2 recycle will often increase the offer!!!

So it's quite obvious they are looking to make money out of customers. It wouldn't surprise me to find that some phones at O2 recycle are refurbished and 'bought' by the O2 recycle employees. 

That's my opinion and of course I have no proof of that.

However going instore to recycle, does seem to be the best way forward

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 104 of 138

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff I upgraded yesterday & mentioned about the recycle price & said what i should get for it. He was impressed that I had done research. He couldn’t get out of that if he tried but he was a nice guy & extremely helpful 

Message 105 of 138

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I've said this to you before @Anonymous , you are one of the lucky ones wink

Also good to do research thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 106 of 138

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all,

It looks like there's been a few negative comments towards our O2 Recycle programme that I wanted to take the time to respond to. For our regulars here on the Community, unfortunately you guys mainly only see issues being shared here on the Community and don't get to see the many, many happy O2 Recycle customers who send their devices and get the full value as expected, which I think has given an unfair perception of the service... Think of the number of threads you've seen around O2 Recycle issues versus the 2.8 million devices we've recycled to date, paying over £200m to our customers and ensuring zero landfill - hopefully this helps put into perspective that the number of overall O2 Recycle 'issues' you see being posted here is in fact just a tiny percentage.

O2 Recycle - Reduced values/quotes
O2 Recycle isn't out to 'scam' anyone, but provide an honest payment for your device based on our grading criteria. If for any reason our final offer is different from your quote, this may be due to issues that impact the device value which may not necessarily be easily visible - but does still impact its value. Think of a car in perfect working order with no visible issues, still drives smoothly, but the engine has started to over-heat, showing signs that it could get worse.

If any O2 Recycle customer disagrees with a valuation or offer, we will return the device back to you free of charge. If you would like to discuss your recycle order further, you can find contact info here where one of the O2 Recycle team would be happy to discuss your recycle order further.

What is screen burn?
As device displays have become more complex and as a society we're spending more time than ever with our screens turned on, one of the more common reasons for being given a reduced quote is due to 'screen burn'. Screen burn in essence is when part of the display has a 'ghost' outline or image/text burned onto it, or where parts of the display become discoloured from the rest. This can be extreme and very noticeable, but can also be very faint - sometimes only showing against a white background and/or with full brightness enabled - but in either case, this does impact the value of the device as the display is one of the highest value parts of it.

Examples of screen burn
See below some examples of screen burn to better show in a visual way how this can manifest itself. Note that some of these are extreme examples and screen burn can be very faint and difficult to see without the right conditions or testing.

This example shows extreme screen discolouration and icons burned onto the display
This example shows extreme screen discolouration and icons burned onto the display

This example shows faint screen burn in the form of the keyboard being 'burned' onto the display
This example shows faint screen burn in the form of the keyboard being 'burned' onto the display

This is the same example above, with filters applied to better show the keyboard burn outline
This is the same example above, with filters applied to better show the keyboard burn outline

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 107 of 138

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Absolutely, and worth everyone checking their devices before sending off.
Samsung have a menu *#0*# which you can select a full white, and RGB to see if your device has burn in.
Cex will offer less for burned in displays too, it's just one of the bad things about oleds that are used lots.
If you're within warranty (especially the first year) and you have "excessive burn in" you should see if your manufacturers warranty covers excessive burn in, some do, some don't, always worth checking.
Message 108 of 138

Giles12212
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Sent my Sony Xperia 10 in yesterday, received an email from them stating that they have reduced the offer down from £142 to £32.40 due to "Heavy damage to device : General heavy damage" Phone was pristine when I sent it glad I took photos of it. Won't be using them again!!
Message 109 of 138

Giles12212
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Wish I'd looked on here first!!
Message 110 of 138