cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving O2 number

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yesterday I spent some time with a helpful O2 guru arranging to move my current O2 number from my old phone (pay monthly) to a new pay monthly phone and to cancel the current contract.  I was told this would be done within 24 hours but it still hasn't happened.  I dno't need live chat to deal with this, especially as I anticipate being out most of tomorrow, but there appears to be no way to simply send an email question.

Am I missing something?  email may be "old fashioned" but it is still a very convenient way to deal with problems which don't require interraction.  It also provides an audit trail.  I looked at the complaint procedure but that is a bit heavy handed and was blathering on about ombudsmen.  I simply want to know when the transfer will take place and as I will be moving around I really don't want to have to do it via live chat or even by phone.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Now Ivan is wondering why is has been left out of this game of pass the regards.

Meanwhile I appear to have dug myself another pit in the O2 accounting system. I appear to have two O2 accounts - I assume another was set up when I bought a new phone but I wasn't aware of that. Trying to merge them has left me in a silly situation because the system wants to send a text to "my other phone" which of course now has my original number whereas my original phone is now disconnected. Time, I think, to go to bed.
Message 11 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149629 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
Give it 24 hours to update on the system first then see what you’ve got.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 12 of 15

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Please let us know how this goes @Anonymous, provided you can keep the cat off the phone long enough laughing cat

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 13 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting there.

As far as I can see, what happend was that when I purchased a new phone another O2 account was set up for me using <generasted_name>@o2.co.uk as the account name.  Unfortunately I did not know about this and when I figured it out and tried to access the account it was asking me questions I could not answer to allow me to reset the password because I did not know the account number and there was no credit card associated with the new a/c.

Another session on livechat has renamed the second account to something I can access.  So I have a new a/c for dealing wiht the phone and the old one which can access these forums.  I can now either try to move the phone into my old account or set up a new community account on the new account.  The latter seems less likely to cause me grief.

Had I known about the new a/c from the outset things would have been easier.  For that I am tempted to blame the people who sold me the phone as I cannot see who else would have set up the a/c?

Message 14 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149629 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
They should have used your email address to set the account up with.
If they had used the same one as you currently have, it would have combined both accounts from the start too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 15 of 15