Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marketing preferences?

pam
Level 4: Observant
  • 114 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

How on earth do I stop unwanted texts/emails for marketing? I've been with O2 for many years but was recently text about marketing preferences but there is no way I can see in the preference screen where I can say NO marketing. It seems you have to have at least one to activate 'Save' button-I don't want any! I've also looked everywhere on this site - O2's but nothing.

Other than phoning/ombudsman - I want to email - there's nothing!

Can anyone help please? Thanks 

Message 1 of 87
86 REPLIES 86

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
"To assure you, O2 do not currently allow third parties to market directly to customers. Your marketing experience with O2 will therefore not be affected."

But they do.
They allow "trusted" partners to offer customers contracts, and some of these "trusted" partners no doubt sell on info.
They can't honestly expect us to believe that sudden spikes in marketing calls paired with these security options changed is a coincidence?
Message 81 of 87

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
So are they admitting that they have a tick box to allow direct marketing that O2 don't allow anyway?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 82 of 87

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also is the marketing preferences error I have ever going to be sorted as I don’t see that mentioned at all
Message 83 of 87

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Martin-O2wrote:

Hi everyone! 

I've received a response about the changes to your marketing preferences. Please see below. If you have any questions about the response or marketing preferences in general please post them below and we'll ask them for you. wink

Some of our customers may have noticed the marketing preference box for “Partners Contacting Me Directly” was incorrectly ‘ticked.

O2 have been transferring existing customer marketing preferences to a new marketing preference dashboard. Due to a technical glitch, some customers’ marketing preferences were incorrectly updated to say they had consented to third party marketing. Please note: O2 do not currently allow third parties to market directly to customers. Your marketing experience with O2 will therefore not be affected as a result of this glitch.

What are we O2 doing to correct this?

O2 have identified the technical glitch and will correct errors in the next few days. New controls will be put in place to stop this error from re-occurring. To assure you, O2 do not currently allow third parties to market directly to customers. Your  marketing experience with O2 will therefore not be affected.  

I take that with a large pinch of salt.... 

So can you feed this back to the same bods and ask them WHY since unticking everything when this issue was raised a couple of weeks back, I check again, not 15 minutes ago using the secret app O2 Ask just to see if I could access marketing through there, YET AGAIN I find all the boxes Ticked!! 

How often now do I need to untick them...... ? 

I urge everyone to now recheck theirs.....

@jonsie wrote:
Reading this thread and a message from @Cleoriff I just checked and all four were ticked. What the hell? I'm guessing when they introduced the new data privacy and 6 digit pin code, they reset everyone's preferences to the default of every box ticked. This is serious @Marjo
Message 84 of 87

Anonymous
Not applicable
I still can’t even access mine grr
Message 85 of 87

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

The first thing I thought when reading this part 'O2 have identified the technical glitch and will correct errors in the next few days' was that I would go straight in and check mine again.

I did and unlike @jonsie mine were exactly as I left them.

However O2's explanation makes me even more wary.

They have openly admitted that a box was unticked 'in error', so in that time our details were out there for anyone to pick up on.

In my case it wasn't one box it was all four...

Also they DO allow third parties to contact us.  That's quite obvious when I near contract end and receive numerous calls from third parties (purporting to be O2) trying to sell me a new contract. 

I will continue to check my preferences on a regular basis now. I don't believe for one minute this won't happen again

Also could you ask O2 why they are making it so difficult for their customers to access this information? Sending me a code via text to ensure it's me is damn laughable. I have to sign into a 'secure site' ie My O2, so what's the point of having to clarify yet again it's me. by sending a code to my phone? Time consuming and set up purely to stop customers bothering to check.!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 86 of 87

Poppysmum
Level 19: Quirky
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

Thank you o2 not. 

Yet again i have unticked the boxes 

More info
rage