cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive Increase in Mobile Data

Anonymous
Not applicable

Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo

Last two months I have had a huge increase in data usage. From average of 130mb per month out of my 500mb allowance, it soared to.... for June, it was was 564mb and July it was nearly 600mb.  First 2 days of this month it was 202mb total. Nothing had changed, I am practically housebound so phone is connected to WiFi 24/7. I wasn't using any social media more than usual nor other apps. O2 gave me a bolt-on of 500 mb until this was sorted, which they haven't been able to,so far.  All they keep doing is to tell me to switch off Mobile Data. I never did before nor have done on the last 3 Samsung phones I have had from O2.... that's not solving the problem nor telling me why the usage has gone so high.

I went back to when this excessive usage first began around 15th/16th June (O2 told me that was when the usage went up, but couldn't tell me why.) so I worked it out to being either when 4g first started in this area and I'd also downloaded the app Android Pay about this time too.

I have turned off 4g and also Android Pay and my usage has dropped way back down to what it was. A very rude & obnoxious O2 advisor tried to tell me that 4g did use a bit more data usage, maybe it does but not to the tune of 400%-500%. 

If it is either one of those apps causing the increase, I will be pretty annoyed if it is the 4g.  Not too bothered with Android Pay but not having a phone that can use 4g is poor. I should have kept my other phone instead of updating.

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
In fact, go in that setting, and make sure your cycle is from before Aug 1St.
Scroll down to show the apps usage and take a screenshot and post it here.
It'll enable people to assist you better without a lot of guess work.
Message 31 of 49

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
In fact, go in that setting, and make sure your cycle is from before Aug 1St.
Scroll down to show the apps usage and take a screenshot and post it here.
It'll enable people to assist you better without a lot of guess work.

as an example, my data use for last month :

Screenshot_2016-08-07-20-53-42.png

Message 32 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know how to access the app usage and for the different dates which apply. Its placing them in order at the moment and which I will do tomorrow.  There's a huge difference in the amount used for Facebook which is very bizarre because there's no auto-play turned on to play videos or anything different from previous months. It is all very bizarre and I will sort them out into a chart view, rather than post about 20 screenshots of mobile data and wifi.

Message 33 of 49

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Just one screenshot will show the period.
There really is no need to sort into charts or anything like that.
Message 34 of 49

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Just one screenshot will show the period.
There really is no need to sort into charts or anything like that.

Spot on and a chart isn't necessary. A screens hot will allow us to advise you what you need to do as @viridis says. I think you are trying to be too technical. You can see all previous months just by changing the cycle in the drop down box. That will show you the difference since you started having the problem. 

Message 35 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is in this instance.

It has changed so much month to month. Just showing you one screenshot will be of no use, as you will have nothing to compare it to. 

What I am wanting to know is WHY is the mobile data used increased so much when nothing has changed with me using the phone. I understand what everyone is saying, about turning off MD when I am at home , yes OK, but doing that doesn't answer my question.

January 131.5mb

February 125.8mb

March 100.1mb

April 66.2mb

May 137.4

June 564.2mb

July 470.00mb

August so far 202mb

Message 36 of 49

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
But you still haven't shown us WHAT is using your data?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 37 of 49

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions
Message 38 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I have said I will do, but it will be tomorrow.

Yes of course I can see where the difference is..... but it doesn't tell me WHY.

Nothing has changed for it to increase the % it has and I want to know why it has.

The app totals vary for what uses most during last 3 months. 

Message 39 of 49

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I'll say again - check download booster.
@Cleoriff has kindly found you the link for the S5 Neo, turn it off.
http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/skp/faq/1097278
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 40 of 49