cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive Increase in Mobile Data

Anonymous
Not applicable

Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo

Last two months I have had a huge increase in data usage. From average of 130mb per month out of my 500mb allowance, it soared to.... for June, it was was 564mb and July it was nearly 600mb.  First 2 days of this month it was 202mb total. Nothing had changed, I am practically housebound so phone is connected to WiFi 24/7. I wasn't using any social media more than usual nor other apps. O2 gave me a bolt-on of 500 mb until this was sorted, which they haven't been able to,so far.  All they keep doing is to tell me to switch off Mobile Data. I never did before nor have done on the last 3 Samsung phones I have had from O2.... that's not solving the problem nor telling me why the usage has gone so high.

I went back to when this excessive usage first began around 15th/16th June (O2 told me that was when the usage went up, but couldn't tell me why.) so I worked it out to being either when 4g first started in this area and I'd also downloaded the app Android Pay about this time too.

I have turned off 4g and also Android Pay and my usage has dropped way back down to what it was. A very rude & obnoxious O2 advisor tried to tell me that 4g did use a bit more data usage, maybe it does but not to the tune of 400%-500%. 

If it is either one of those apps causing the increase, I will be pretty annoyed if it is the 4g.  Not too bothered with Android Pay but not having a phone that can use 4g is poor. I should have kept my other phone instead of updating.

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I'm not sure if the Neo has download booster or not but if it has, is it on?
You might want to turn it off if it's on.
That would probably not have kicked in when you were only on 3g but it could well do on 4g.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesnt have one that I can tell...

Message 22 of 49

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

The normal S5 does http://galaxys5guide.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-features-explained/galaxy-s5-download-booster/ but it may have been deleted from the Neo - it was just a thought anyway but it would perfectly explain why you're seeing more data usage since 4g was turned on in your area.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 49

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
1, 4g is not an app, it is a type of data delivery, it doesn't download more data than 3g, it just does it a lot quicker. It's far easier to physically use more data with 4g tho, as the delivery of background data is much, much quicker.
2, WiFi is not a mode, it too is a method of data delivery, meaning...
3,.. When WiFi is on and connected, your mobile data usage stops dead, kaput, finito. Unless you have a booster for slow WiFi speeds built into the phone.
4, looking at your chart, it's very easy to see most of your data usage is between 8am and 10:30 am.
What time do you commute or leave the house in the morning?
Message 24 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do use the phone more between the times mentioned but I am still at home, I use Whatsapp during that time not excessively though and Facebook while I get breakfast.   I have Wifi and Mobile Data both switched on and have done on this phone since I got it on 1 January. I copied the settings from my other Samsung phone and my husbands to make sure they were correct. 

My Wifi (fibre optic) speed is 52mbps. When speaking to an O2 agent, he told me that the first sign of excessive use showed on 15th-16th July then it evened out, he thought.

Then on 29th July it spiked really high again until 12.20pm on 3rd August, when I took the phone back to Carphone Warehouse who I had purchased the phone from. I mentioned to the manager that I thought the high usage related to either 4g or Android Pay [which is an App].  He turned 4g off and uninstalled Android Pay.  From then on the phone has been as it was before, hardly using any mobile data. As of this morning I have 350.58mb left out of 1000mb. 0.02 less than same time yesterday. 

I have 5 days left on this current billing, so I will reinstate 4g and see what happens..... both with Mobile Data and Wifi switched on and Wifi on it's own and perhaps Mobile Date on it's own. 

Message 25 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

As said previously...when you are at home and using WiFi...there is absolutely no need for mobile data to be on at all. Mine is never turned on unless I leave the house and travel. Then I switch wifi off and use only mobile data. You should be updating your apps over WiFi only...I am sure if you 'follow that rule' you will see a decrease in mobile data usage...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand fully what you are saying. 

I want/need to know why this increase has suddenly occurred, what is causing it. Is it a glitch with the phone, faulty rogue app such as Android Pay? 

I have seen a massive decrease already by turning off 4g and uninstalling Android Pay even with Wifi and Mobile Data switched on.  

Message 27 of 49

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

When fault finding, only change one item at a time.

You changed 4G and Android Pay so you don't know which was the cause of the problem.

From what you have said the culprit is one of them.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 28 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

If we put it down those 2 things it could be just 4G or both working together as android pay would need to have a data connection available when you are using it outside of the home

Message 29 of 49

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
As said before,
Settings, data usage will show exactly which app has used your data, you can select the month cycle to view too.
Just a hint tho, it won't be android pay, that thing uses very little data and only seeks data when a payment is being processed for about 5 seconds
My guess will be any social media apps
Message 30 of 49