Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling on Huawei P20 Pro

EAWS
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have bad network coverage at home and want to switch to a device which supports wifi calling so that I can make calls at home. On the O2 website the Huawei P20 Pro is not listed as a device supported by O2 for this functionality. However, I've just spoken to a customer service rep who GUARANTEED me that I would be able to make wifi calls. 

Does anyone have any experience with this before I buy?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

EAWS
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Steve, 

Wifi calling means that your phone uses wifi when you don't have signal for the normal "phone call" functionality of the device. So if a landline called my number and I didn't have signal, but was connected to wifi, the call would still come through. Here's what O2 say...

No signal? No problem, with Wifi Calling. Whether you’re at home, in a coffee shop or at the office, if you’re having a signal problem, you can use wifi to call as normal

You're right you don't need this functionality enabled to make wifi calls through Whatsapp / Skype etc.

It's my fault for moving to an area with no signal, but it's a shame O2 don't support it on the devices that I like (Hate Apple and Samsung!) 

Message 11 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
It works on my OnePlus 6 so there are other options.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 22

EAWS
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK thanks MI5 - shall I take off the Solved label? 

Message 13 of 22

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Leave it for now as it still may be correct, but I'm hoping to get a date as to when from one of them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122904 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Though it is NOT solved.

As from today at 11.45am and up to 6pm, the P20 is still not showing on the wifi calling list of supported devices.

As neither @Chris_K or @Martin-O2 has got back to us to confirm or deny the question asked, it can't possibly be solved. The website has not been updated. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 22

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks @EAWS

Thanks

Steve
Message 16 of 22

EAWS
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all

I've tweeted the offical O2 handle today (@o2) and received a reply to say that "wifi calling isn't currently supported on this device, we're sorry for any inconvenience". I've replied to ask if they can tell me if it'll be supported in the near future, but it would be great to know from @Chris_K or @Martin-O if they have the answer?

Message 17 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122904 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@EAWS

If you have tweeted O2 and they say it isn't supported ...then it isn't.

@Chris_Kis part of the social media team and may well have been the one who replied.

It's still not showing on the supported list so you may have to wait longer than you are prepared to.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 22

EAWS
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Understood. Thank you

Message 19 of 22

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions
As an unofficial update to this; a result of today's massive network issue and a phone call from my wife it appears the Huawei P20 and I would imagine the Pro variant can handle WiFi calling.

I've read that O2 officially state it was data only affected but after not being able to call or text even after switching to 3G and 2G to test my calls and SMS were also unavailable.

However on my home WiFi I was back to and running.

Test call completed on WiFi.

Test call with WiFi off failed

Test call completed on WiFi.

Enough for me to say my device is compatible with WiFi calling.

Message 20 of 22