cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Address Book from Torch 9810 to Curve 8520

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Having lost her Torch, my daughter has now taken posession of my wife's "old" 8520 Curve.

I have spent a frustrating two hours trying to delete the Address Book off the 8520 (just managed to do this), and I have a backup of the 9810 on Blackberry Desktop Manager.

However, when I try to restore only the "Address Book-All" from the 9810 backup to the 8520 through the Desktop Manager, it keeps failing with an error message asking me to check the device is switched on and connected. Well I managed to restore the previous 8520 Address Book without a problem, have managed to delete it again (so the device is obviously connected and on), but still getting the same message when trying to restore the 9810's Address Book!!!!

Can anyone please advise if it is possible to do this before I drop-kick the aforementioned 8520 through the window!!!!!!Smiley Frustrated

Many thanks.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

The 8520 has a smaller memory than the Torch so that may be where you are running into problems.

The message regarding email just means that email would have to be setup afresh after the wipe so worth doing to recover memory.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Asdic_Ping
Level 4: Observant
  • 87 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Have you security wiped the 8520 and set it up with your daughters BlackBerry ID? I'm not familiar with restoring contacts from Desktop Manager, but if you have used BlackBerry Protect on the 9810 you can easily restore them from there on the 8520. If not I'm sure others will be along to help you out to restore your daughters contacts from DM.

BlackBerry 9300, 9810 & Playbook
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I did look at a number of posts which suggested usingh the security wipe, but I was a little concerned as the phone was displaying a message that e-mail could not be used once the operation had been performed!!

Not sure if this meant just the current e-mail account, or a permanent stop.......

However, my daughter seems to me managing fine, and I have no dount that she will manage to manually add her contacts over time.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 5

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

The 8520 has a smaller memory than the Torch so that may be where you are running into problems.

The message regarding email just means that email would have to be setup afresh after the wipe so worth doing to recover memory.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

It may be a bit late, but this is what I would do if i was in the same scenario:

1)Install BlackBerry Desktop Manager on a computer

2)Connect the Curve to the computer and perform a full backup in BDM

3)Disconnect the Curve from the PC and perform a Security Wipe. Go to Options------->Security Options--------->General Settings-------->Press the BB button and click wipe handheld--------->Tick the box for third party applications ------->Click Continue and type blackberry and hit the enter button. The Curve will then reset and reach factory state.

4)Setup the Curve as if it was a new device, including entering your daughters BlackBerry ID that she would have been using on her Torch, or alternatively just create a brand new one. If she uses her old Blackberry ID, her BBM contacts should re-appear on the Curve.

5)Once the phone is setup and you can access the home screens, etc, connect the Curve to the PC again and try to do a selective restore, choosing only the Address Book.

6)This should then work...and your daughter can then be given the phone to setup her email accounts, install Apps, etc

How have you got on so far with the advice given above? I would suggest making sure Blackberry Protect is installed on the Curve and set to backup once a week when connected to a WiFi network.

Message 5 of 5