Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Bold 9780 - can't connect to O2 BIS server

Rory101
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes I know it's an old 'phone but it's served me well - until it stopped getting email last Friday when we changed our tarrif.

O2 support have re-added the APN to our account and assured me that would fix it but it hasn't.  When I go to email setup the phone is unable to connect to the server so then I'm stuck.  I logged into the online O2 BIS page and deleted the account but it doesn't delete on the phone.  I created an new one and that doesn't appear either.

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Rory101
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've done a bit of Googling and the only info I can find on BIS being discontinued is a forum post from May this year where Tesco sent out a text saying they were discontinuing BIS from June.   That poster checked with other providers who all said they were continuing.  Certainly several other providers I've checked still have their branded BIS registration sites up and running.

I've found I can't register my phone on O2's site, although it has the correct PIN already, so again I suspect some issue with the link between O2 and Blackberry.

Message 11 of 17

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Rory101! I remember my old BB Bold phone... Loved it! And the Curve ones too. I had a pink one. slight_smile Still miss the keyboard. Sorry to hear about your connection issue. Let me check if I can find any info about this from O2!

Going to drop you a private message to get a few details, please check when you get a moment. slight_smile

Message 12 of 17

Rory101
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks Marjo - have replied to your PM.

I feel sure it's a really simple issue and it would be great to get it working again - I'm a bit lost without mobile email.

Message 13 of 17

Old_Crow
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 need to do a behind-the-scenes tweak to get this particular phone to connect to the Blackberry server.  My neighbour had the self same problem last week, and I advised her that she would need to get O2 to fix it.  It eventually got sorted by someone on the O2 on-line help desk who knew all about it.  (She had tried the telephone help-desk to no avail).  Just be aware that because it's an old phone, you might have to be persistent to find someone at O2 who knows what to do...

Message 14 of 17

EducatedDevice
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Ring through to the gurus and ask if there is the 4G and wifi calling bolton for blackberry and/or smartphone.

This usually does sort the issue, When changing a tarrif it sets it back to the original which is none. As you said it was working before friday i assume this could be it and not the APN

best regards,

ED

O2 Guru,
O2 Customer Service Advisor,
Android user

If and when i help you within the community, It's out of work hours meaning i will not access any accounts during our interaction. (Which is not allowed anyway).
Message 15 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

No 4G /Wifi calling for Blackberry devices currently

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

Here's a list of supported devices ...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I doubt O2 support any of the old BB devices now with a mainstream bolt on of any description.
Any such connections would require some one off back door jiggery pokery.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 17