cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlackBerry 10.1 Maintenance Release

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has started rolling out and should bring the OS version up to 10.1.0.4537 or higher. How soon can we expect to see it released by O2?

This will give us a whole host of improvements including iCloud sync, copying SMS messages shows a verification pop-up, there's a new Gmail set-up process, and SMS sending status now shows in the Hub. There are also updates for the native Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn apps and BlackBerry World.

More importantly there is support for simple passwords on the lock screen so we will now be able to use a 4-digit PIN to unlock the phone...this is probably the one thing I am looking forward to! 

Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank god for that slight_smile

Although I still think O2 need to improve greatly with the communication of these software updates. Doesn't hurt to have one page saying heres the latest release we have, the current stage of testing and the estimated release date to devices

Message 21 of 56

version7point0
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions

Was just going to post that it had appeared.

Be aware that a great deal of people are reporting all messages are being deleted upon the update.

Just updating now and I will confirm if it does indeed lose its messages.

FYI full changelog:

Software updates for version 10.1 maintenance release

Includes the following updates for the BlackBerry® Z10 and BlackBerry® Q10 smartphones:

• Next/previous message navigation shortcut: use a simple gesture to quickly move to the last or next message without having to return to the full message list. Within any message in the BlackBerry® Hub:
    • Swipe to the right and then down (like an upside-down L) to move forward to the next message
    • Swipe to the right and then up (like a backwards L) to move back to the previous message
  • Keyboard shortcut for last unread message: on the BlackBerry Q10 smartphone, pressing the “U” key in the BlackBerry Hub will take you to the last unread message
  • Email synchronization: ActiveSync and IMAP email users can adjust syncing preferences to keep emails on their BlackBerry® smartphone for an unlimited time period
  • Two factor authentication for Twitter and LinkedIn: to improve security, if you have two factor authentication enabled for LinkedIn and Twitter, you’ll be sent a verification ID via a text message that you’ll enter into the settings when setting up those accounts
  • Addition of a search field in BlackBerry® Remember: quickly search for items in the app
  • Support for simple passwords: simplified password entry from the lock screen and work space authentication prompts. The simple password feature utilizes a reduced keyboard layout containing only numeric characters and allows you to set a numeric PIN for your smartphone or work space password
  • New interactive tutorials:
    • Tutorial topics: swipe up from the bottom to close an app, swipe down from the top to reveal settings
    • Each tutorial provides text instructions and an opportunity to perform the gesture
  • IT policy to separate work and personal accounts in the BlackBerry Hub:
    • BlackBerry Hub Work displays only work-related accounts, like a work email account and enterprise instant messaging
    • BlackBerry Hub Personal displays only personal-related accounts, like a personal email account, SMS, BBM™, phone calls and social media apps
  • Input support for “strokes” for Simplified and Traditional Chinese
  • Input and UI translation for Korean
  • Updates for applications:
    • BlackBerry® World™:
      • Ability to view video previews in landscape mode via HDMI out
      • UX enhancements
      • Recently viewed:
        • See up to the last 12 pieces of content you’ve viewed
        • Clear all recently viewed items or remove individual ones by long pressing and selecting delete viewed item from the context menu
        • Enable a private browsing mode that will disable both recent search tracking and recently viewed
      • My Wishlist:
        • Add items to your wish list from a content details page
        • Add up to 48 items to your wish list. When the 49th item is added, the first item added to the list is automatically removed
    • Facebook:
      • Newsfeed UI refresh
      • Ability to create a photo album before uploading a photo and upload a photo to a specific album
      • Ability to tag friends in photos that were previously uploaded
    • Twitter:
      • Content is automatically updated in all tabs without having to manually refresh
      • Improved search for top tweets, photos and related profiles
    • LinkedIn:
      • Import and invite contacts from your personal email address to connect on LinkedIn through the new Add Connections page in settings
      • Easily view the number of unread messages and invitations from the inbox page
      • UI improvements
      • View the details of companies you follow and follow suggested companies
      • Delete and archive messages in the inbox
      • See the most recent updates from your network when the app is minimized in Active Frames
      • Change your profile photo from the You page, the full screen view of your photo or the native picture viewer
      • Search by connection name, headline and company
Message 22 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

@version7point0 wrote:

Was just going to post that it had appeared.

Be aware that a great deal of people are reporting all messages are being deleted upon the update.

Just updating now and I will confirm if it does indeed lose its messages.

From what i can gather its a bit hit and miss as to wether you lose your messages or not. I'm gonna hope that since O2 appear to have done extending testing (maybe) that we shouldnt see this problem occuring!

I look forward to your findings before I get home to install it on mine!

Message 23 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable
just installed, I haven't lost any of my text messages slight_smile do note though mine took 1 hour to reboot! stuck on 100% loading for a long old time
Message 24 of 56

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions
That's good to know re the text messages. Did you update OTA? Or did you backup first?
iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 25 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable
straight OTA, no backups, then just left it for an hour while it was booting
Message 26 of 56

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions
Thanks, I think I'll still err on the side of caution and backup first, but still have to wait till I'm no longer on call.

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 27 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

So...that was interesting!

Did an OTA update and all went well. It hung a bit at the 100% screen and took ages to load the hub but the phone started no probs. I had to enter my password again for my Gmail account but I had heard that would happen.

All my texts were there...but they were all blank when I tried to open them, and opening them took a few seconds! And no matter who the text/conversation was with it was always the last sender who appeared. I was able to type a text but the "Send" option was greyed out.

After trying a shut down and restart that didnt fix it, as well as flight mode on/off and a mobile network on/off I took the hunt to Crackberry for a solution, which I found!

What appears to have fixed the problem (but may have just been a time related coincidence), after ensuring all media had been indexed , ie all pictures, music, etc was loaded I held the power button in until the loading screen appeared back on the screen. As soon as the phone started up again iwas able to read and reply to texts!

Just posting this incase it happens to someone else! slight_smile

Message 28 of 56

k100rs
Level 3: Thinker
  • 32 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

mmmmm .... I'm a little perturbed now, I understand from the posts here that the o2 update is here?

Yet when I go to updates on my phone it instantly reports I have the latest version. What disturbs me is that it doesn't appear to spend a fraction of a second checking it just instantly pops back that it's on the latest version?

Just pulled the battery and rebooted, will see if that wakes it up...

.... yep pulling the battery and connecting to a power source appears to have woken the update function ... downloading as I type .... fingers crossed slight_smile

Right ... started downloading at 12 noon, finished updating and ready to use at 12:30 .... phew slight_smile ... although the hub is still "refreshing"

--
Steve Parry

Phone timeline:
Nokia 5110, 6210, 6310i, 6600, 6670, 6300, N80, 3230, 9100, 5800 XpressMusic, N8, Z10 ....... currently Nokia 5 br>
provider: Cellnet>BT Cellnet>O2 .....
Message 29 of 56

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

All went smoothly backing up with BBlink first and took about half hour though it was a bit longer for the hub to repopulate. No loss of messages though all email passwords needed re-entering, seems to be necessary for each update or after a restore.

Message 30 of 56