cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cursor 'jumping' around on laptop screen whilst I type = defrag ?

RunrigForever
Level 20: Radiant
  • 2586 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello

I may have asked a similar question before ..... I have typed 'defrag' in search box and not got anything suitable for me to understand.

Could anyone point me the way to a solution please ?

Any help would be gratefully received slight_smile

***DESORMAIS***
Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147056 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28284 Solutions

@RunrigForever 

Trackpad is the pad on your laptop that you can slide your finger around to move the cursor.

Try unplugging the mouse and see if it is still doing it.

Also, have you rebooted the laptop recently?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10674 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3095 Solutions

@RunrigForever 

Best way to do defrag on a windows machine is to go to DOS

do win+r

type cmd

then defrag and choose the best option

If you dont want to use the DOS prompt then try disk defragmentation in the search box

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 18

MI5
  • 147056 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28284 Solutions

@RunrigForever 

Not sure that a fragmented disc would cause the issue with a jumping cursor. 

Are you using a mouse, wired or wireless or just the trackpad?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 18

RunrigForever
  • 2586 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @madasaf1sh & @MI5 

@MI5 ..... I use a mouse with a wire attached to it and the other end into the laptop itself.

when typing in script using my keyboard it is when the cursor jumps around to a different place on the screen amid script I have previously typed ... = ... if that makes any sense ?

What is a trackpad please ?

***DESORMAIS***
Message 4 of 18

MI5
  • 147056 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28284 Solutions

@RunrigForever 

Trackpad is the pad on your laptop that you can slide your finger around to move the cursor.

Try unplugging the mouse and see if it is still doing it.

Also, have you rebooted the laptop recently?

Message 5 of 18

RunrigForever
  • 2586 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 

Just unplugged the mouse and plugged it in again

At a guess last time laptop was rebooted would be about 18 months ago.

I need to write an email but just not right now as need food and some fresh air outside.

Will know when typing in email whether cursor jumps around then.

Will need fairish contortions for me to access one of three or all 3 wires / plugs behind my desk.

Will get back to you @MI5 as soon as able.

Thank you.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 6 of 18

MI5
  • 147056 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28284 Solutions

@RunrigForever 

Just select restart from the start menu.

No need to unplug the laptop.

Also leave mouse out to see if it's that causing the issue. The laser under the mouse could be dirty.

Message 7 of 18

RunrigForever
  • 2586 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 

Just edited an earlier draft email and experienced no cursor jumping ... & ... composed and sent another email again with no cursor jumping.

Did keep mouse unplugged & restarted laptop as you suggested above.

Struggled using trackpad and a new Microsoft mouse which is way too big & deep for my small chubby hands. Have been in pain and taken co-codamol as lower / upper arm then shoulder hurt. I use a good mousemat with integral wrist rest. My smaller mouse is 'rather grubby around the edges'. Can the laser point be cleaned by with say a cotton ear bud ?

***DESORMAIS***
Message 8 of 18

MI5
  • 147056 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28284 Solutions

@RunrigForever 

Sounds like the mouse is the problem then.

You can give it an overall clean with window sprat and a buff with a soft cloth.

However, if it's an electronic issue, just get a replacement off Amazon.

Message 9 of 18

RunrigForever
  • 2586 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 

As per recent instructions from @Dave-O2 before he went on paternity leave ..... members of O2C (regular posters in particular) were asked to help secure an 'Accepted Solution' to the initial posters query ... so ... @MI5 which post of yours above would you say would be most appropriate for that in this instance ?

I shall clean my dirty preferred old, tried & tested mouse with window spray and buff as you suggest.

I am used to buying off Amazon Prime, but don't want another unusable mouse ... ... ... the new Microsoft mouse was given to me by local IT businessman after he helped my sync phone, tablet & laptop, which I doubt I could have done over O2C, me being a permanent tech novice ... ... ... The professional IT man made bullet point notes for me to refer back to when I forget things say for example to test the printer every 2 weeks or else the works gets gummed up and I buy new ink cartridges from him ..... I also put a reminder in my phone calendar.

Thank you @MI5 for helping me and explaining what to do in a way I am able to understand.

'A Little Knowledge is a Dangerous Thing' ..... by ..... my mum when I was a kid living in the family home in west Yorkshire.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 10 of 18