White Room Quiz Mon 12 Apr 2021 inc 1000th question

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25356 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to 

white-room-quiz2.png

There are two White Room Quizzes each week - one on Monday and one on Wednesday.

Today`s White Room Quiz includes the 1000th question

Instead of the usual eight questions, there are 10 questions - with one question from each of these categories

HISTORY   GEOGRAPHY   NATURE   SPACE                   LITERATURE   

MOVIES     GAMES            EVENTS    FOOD & DRINK    MUSIC

Not only is there the chance of being awarded a Gold Thinker for 10 correct answers

but each person who correctly answers Q10 - the 1000th WRQ questions - will be awarded a trophy

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

Those wishing to take part must pm me - @Mi-Amigo - with their answers between 12 noon today [Monday] and 11.59pm tomorrow [Tuesday]

I hope our regular quizzers

@Cleoriff   @jonsie   @pgn   @gmarkj   @MI5   @TallTrees   @Cairdeas   @TheresaV 

@LukasB   @Martin-O2 

and any member, who has taken part in the past or has never taken part, and new members

will join in with today`s White Room Quiz.

TODAY`S TEN QUESTIONS

Q1 HISTORY. Which King defeated the Danes at the Battle of Ashdown in England in 871 ?

Q2 GEOGRAPHY. Which river flows through the Grand Canyon in the USA ?

Q3 NATURE. What type of animal is an Australian barramundi ?

Q4 SPACE. What was the name of the Soviet spacecraft in which Gherman Titov was the second Russian

cosmonaut into space in August 1961 ?

Q5 LITERATURE. In which Charles Dickens` novel does the character Lord Decimus Tite Barnacle appear?

Q6 MOVIES. What was the first name of Mrs Robinson`s daughter in the 1967 movie "The Graduate" ? 

[character`s name not the name of the actress]

Q7 GAMES. In the game of tiddlywinks what is a squop ?

Q8 EVENTS. For which wedding anniversary is crystal the traditional gift ?

Q9 FOOD & DRINK. In the dish dubarry, which vegetable is coated with mornay sauce with crumbled

bread or cheese topping ?

Q10 MUSIC - the 1000th WRQ question

Who recorded and released the song "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes" which reached

No 3 in the UK singles chart on 6 March 1963 ?

The White Room Quiz is open to all members of the Community.

Those who want to take part must pm [private message] me [Mi-Amigo] with their answers between 12 noon today [Mon 12 April] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Tuesday 13 April]

- allowing 36 hours to pm your answers.

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

The answers - and results for each player taking part - will be posted on morning of Wed 14 April.

THE RULES

Each member must pm [private message] their answers to me [Mi-Amigo] after 12 noon today [Mon 12 April] and before 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Tues 13 April].

No member is to post any answer on the thread.

Any answer received after 23.59 [11.59pm] on Tues 13 April will be declared void.

No googling, wiki, youtube search for answers.

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

New members, who have recently joined the Community, and members who have not taken part before, are welcome to join the "regulars" and take part in this quiz

Each correct answer given by each member will be awarded a star .

In addition, the following trophies will be awarded for

10 correct     8 correct     6 correct     4 correct

answers       answers       answers      answers 

golden-thinker.jpg     silver-thinker.jpg     bronze-thinker-crop.jpg      red-thinker.jpg

Golden          Silver          Bronze              Red

Thinker        Thinker       Thinker           Thinker 

plus - each person who correctly answers Q10 - the 1000th WRQ question - [whether or not he or she

answers the other questions correctly] will be awarded trophy  

Please feel free to post any comments on the questions - but not the answers - on this thread.

If you have any questions about the quiz, please ask and I will reply here.

Thank you everyone for your interest in the White Room Quiz and making reaching the 1000th question possible and for making the quiz so popular.

I hope everyone enjoys today`s White Room Quiz, and find it fun.

Good luck, everyone

@Mi-Amigo  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

Mi-Amigo
  • 25356 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @jonsie 

Very clever gif - appropriate to one of the questions yahoo

pm with your 10 answers received

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 21 of 41

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37277 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1700 Solutions
Message 22 of 41

Mi-Amigo
  • 25356 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @pgn 

like the meme

pm with your 10 answers received

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 23 of 41

Mi-Amigo
  • 25356 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE ANSWERS:

Q1 HISTORY. Which King defeated the Danes at the Battle of Ashdown in England in 871 ?

A1   Historically, the correct answer is Aelthred I [King of Wessex 866-871] who was killed at Merton

in 871 [after the Battle of Ashdown] and his brother, Alfred became King of Wessex.

Only one quizzer gave this correct answer. seven gave the answer Alfred. As Alfred did fight at

the Battle of Ashdown and elsewhere against the Danes, I`m going to be generous and accept

Alfred as a correct answer and award a star

Q2 GEOGRAPHY. Which river flows through the Grand Canyon in the USA ?

A2   Colorado

Q3 NATURE. What type of animal is an Australian barramundi ?

A3    fish [sea bass]

Q4 SPACE. What was the name of the Soviet spacecraft in which Gherman Titov was the second Russian

cosmonaut into space in August 1961 ?

A4   Vostok 2

Q5 LITERATURE. In which Charles Dickens` novel does the character Lord Decimus Tite Barnacle appear?

Q5      Little Dorrit

Q6 MOVIES. What was the first name of Mrs Robinson`s daughter in the 1967 movie "The Graduate" ? 

[character`s name not the name of the actress]

A6   Elaine

Q7 GAMES. In the game of tiddlywinks what is a squop ?

A7   when one wink [counter] covers another wink [counter] 

Q8 EVENTS. For which wedding anniversary is crystal the traditional gift ?

A8    15th

Q9 FOOD & DRINK. In the dish dubarry, which vegetable is coated with mornay sauce with crumbled

bread or cheese topping ?

A9   cauliflower

Q10 MUSIC - the 1000th WRQ question 

Who recorded and released the song "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes" which reached

No 3 in the UK singles chart on 6 March 1963 ?

A10  Bobby Vee

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 24 of 41

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124283 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo 

Having seen your comments to question one, I have JUST googled the question. This is the answer as shown to the question.

Which King defeated the Danes at the Battle of Ashdown in England in 871 ?

Alfred

In 870 AD the Danes attacked the only remaining independent Anglo-Saxon kingdom, Wessex, whose forces were commanded by Alfred's older brother, King Aethelred, and Alfred himself. In 871 AD, Alfred defeated the Danes at the Battle of Ashdown in Berkshire.

History - Alfred the Great - BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk › history › historic_figures › alfred

On a personal note I knew Aethelred and Alfred were brothers, but always thought Alfred was the one who defeated the Danes.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 41

Mi-Amigo
  • 25356 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE RESULTS:

@LukasB 

Q1 Henry - incorrect  Q2 correct - awarded  star Q3 correct - awarded star 

Q4 pass    Q5 pass      Q6 correct - awarded star  Q7 pass

Q8 correct - awarded star  Q9 pass  Q10 pass

plus, for four correct answers, also awarded

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker

@MI5 

Q1 Alfred - accepted as correct - awarded star  Q3 correct - awarded star  Q4 correct - awarded star 

Q4 correct - awarded star  Q5 correct - awarded star  Q6 correct - awarded star 

Q7 correct - awarded star  Q8 correct - awarded star  Q9 correct - awarded star 

Q10 correct - awarded star + trophy

plus, for 10 correct answers, also awarded

golden-thinker.jpg

Gold Thinker

@Cleoriff 

Q1 Alfred - accepted as correct - awarded star  Q3 correct - awarded star  Q4 correct - awarded star 

Q4 correct - awarded star  Q5 correct - awarded star  Q6 correct - awarded star 

Q7 correct - awarded star  Q8 correct - awarded star  Q9 correct - awarded star 

plus, for 10 correct answers, also awarded

golden-thinker.jpg

Gold Thinker

@gmarkj 

Q1 Alfred - accepted as correct - awarded  star Q2 correct - awarded star Q3 correct - awarded star 

Q4 pass     Q5 Great Expectations - incorrect      Q6 correct - awarded star 

Q7 button to flick with - incorrect   Q8 correct - awarded star  Q9 correct - awarded star

Q10 The Beatles - incorrect 

plus, for six correct answers, also awarded

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg

Bronze Thinker

@TheresaV 

Q1 Alfred - accepted as correct - awarded  star Q2 correct - awarded star Q3 correct - awarded star  Q4 pass   Q5 pass   Q7 pass   Q8 pass  Q9 correct - awarded star  Q10 pass

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker

@Martin-O2 

Q1 Alfred - accepted as correct - awarded star Q2 correct - awarded star Q3 bird - incorrect

Q4 pass    Q5 pass   Q6 pass    Q7 winning move - incorrect    Q8 10th anniversary - incorrect

Q9 correct - awarded star Q10 The Beatles - incorrect  

Total: three  star for three correct answers

@TallTrees 

Q1 Alfred - accepted as correct - awarded  star Q2 correct - awarded star Q3 kangaroo - incorrect

Q4 correct - awarded star  Q5 pass   Q6 pass   Q7 beaker - incorrect   Q8 correct - awarded star 

Q9 correct - awarded star  Q10 pass

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker

@jonsie 

Q1 Alfred - accepted as correct - awarded star Q2 correct - awarded star  Q3 correct - awarded star 

Q4 correct - awarded star  Q5 The Tempest - incorrect   Q6 correct - awarded star   

Q7 correct - awarded star  Q8  correct - awarded star    Q9  correct - awarded star 

plus, for more than eight correct answers also awarded

silver-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker

@pgn 

Q1 Aethelred I - correct answer - awarded star Q2 correct - awarded star  Q3 correct - awarded star 

Q4 correct - awarded star  Q5 correct - awarded star Q6 correct - awarded star     

Q7 "a squop is the sensation you experience when you gromp, or nurdle, your scrunge" - incorrect joy

Q8  correct - awarded star Q9  correct - awarded star 

plus, for more than eight correct answers also awarded

silver-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 26 of 41

Mi-Amigo
  • 25356 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE AWARDS:

golden-thinker.jpg 

Gold Thinker                       = 10 correct answers - @Cleoriff  @MI5 

silver-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker  +  star           = 9 correct answers - @jonsie  @pgn 

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg

Bronze Thinker                      = 6 correct answers - @gmarkj   

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker +  star                = 5 correct answers - @TallTrees  @TheresaV   

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker                            = 4 correct answers - @LukasB 

star star star                          = 3 correct answers - @Martin-O2 

trophy = Q10 correct answer -  @Cleoriff  @MI5   @jonsie   @pgn 

CONGRATULATIONS to the GOLD THINKERS - @Cleoriff  @MI5 

and trophy: WINNERS for correct answer to Q10 1000th question - @Cleoriff  @MI5  @jonsie  @pgn 

Well done

@pgn              - Silver Thinker + star 

@jonsie           - Silver Thinker + star

@gmarkj         - Bronze Thinker

@TallTrees       - Red Thinker + star 

@TheresaV      - Red Thinker + star

@LukasB          - Red Thinker

@Martin-O2    - star star star  

Everyone who took part got at least  star  star  star

I hope everyone enjoyed this White Room Quiz with the 1000th WRQ question and you will all take part in today`s White Room Quiz which will be posted on a separate thread shortly.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 27 of 41

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124283 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

Great game @Mi-Amigo, even though I thought the tiddliwinks question was the hardest and was a guess!

Loved @pgn's answer to it.

Re Alfred, I posted something HERE 

Well done one and all. yahoo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 41

Mi-Amigo
  • 25356 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff for your interesting info on Alfred and the Battle of Ashdown.

It`s always good to read additional/follow-up inf resulting from WRQ question

I based the question on information in A Dictionary of British History by J P Kenyon, Professor of Modern History, University of St Andrews, Scotland, published by TLC [The Leisure Circle] 1981.

Entries include:

"Aethelred I King of Wessex [866-871] who, together with his brother and successor Alfred led resistance to the Danish invasion of England. After ousting the Danes from Mercia [870], Aethelred afterwards won a crushing victory at Ashdown [871]."

"Ashdown, battle of [871] in which Alfred led the West Saxons to victory over the Danes"

This is why I took Aethelred I to be king of Wessex at Battle of Ashdown but accept that Alfred led the West Saxons against the Danes. Which is why I accept both Aethelred I and Alfred as correct answers. 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 29 of 41

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37277 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1700 Solutions

Pure Kenneth Williams - and every one a genuine Tiddlywinks term, @Cleoriff - thanks, @Mi-Amigo for sharing it, "ya gorra have a laff", as Cilla was wont to say.

Message 30 of 41