The White Room Seasonal Quiz 1 - The 12 ?? Of Xmas

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25197 Posts
  • 816 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to 

white-room-quiz2.png

There are two White Room Quizzes each week - one on Monday and one on Wednesday.

Today`s Quiz is the White Room Seasonal Quiz 1 - The 12 ?? Of Xmas

[part of 🎅🏻 🎄 Christmas On The Community] 

Instead of the usual eight questions, there are 12 questions - with one question from each of these categories

NATURE   WORDS   FOOD & DRINK   SPACE   PLACES   LITERATURE   EVENTS

TV             ART         SPORT                 MUSIC   HISTORY

with each question based on one of the gifts in "The 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS"   

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

Those wishing to take part must pm me - @Mi-Amigo - with their answers between 12 noon today [Wednesday] and 11.59pm tomorrow [Thursday]

I hope our regular quizzers

@Cleoriff   @pgn   @jonsie   @MI5   @gmarkj   @Anonymous  @LukasB   @Martin-O2  @Marjo 

and any member, who has taken part in the past or has never taken part, and new members

will join in with today`s White Room Quiz.

TODAY`S TWELVE QUESTIONS

There is no question is a QI-style question, in which the answer is not what most people think.

Q1 PARTRIDGE [nature] Where do grey partridges and red-legged partridges build their nests?

Q2 TURTLE DOVES [words] The term "turtle doves" owes its origin to what? 

Q3 FRENCH HENS [food & drink] French hens barbezieux are native to which region of France?

Q4 CALLING BIRDS [space] "Early Bird" was a US satellite with "calls" between N America and Europe

What was the official name of the "Early Bird" satellite?

Q5 GOLD RINGS [places] Gold rings for the Royal weddings of Elizabeth II, Diana, Kate, and Meghan

were all made from gold mined from which Welsh mine? 

Q6 GEESE [literature] "The Fox And The Geese" is a German folk tale in a 1815 collection of stories.

What was the title of the collection of stories? 

Q7 SWANS [events] Swan upping takes place annually on the River Thames between Sunbury and

Abingdon on which month of the year?

Q8 MAIDS [tv] In the TV series "Downton Abbey" who played the characters Anna, head housemaid,

and Gwen, the underhousemaid? [star for both; half star for one correct answer] 

Q9 LADIES [art] Which Spanish painter painted "Las Meninas" [Ladies-in-waiting] in 1656?

Q10 LORDS [sport] In July 2020, it was announced that cricketer Ian Botham was to be made a peer.

Three other cricketers have been made a peer [not hereditary]. Name one of them

Q11 PIPERS [music] "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" was the debut studio album of which English

rock band in 1967?

Q12 DRUMMERS [history] Apart from drumming to regulate the marching of soldiers, what important

role did drummers play during the American Civil War?

The White Room Quiz is open to all members of the Community.

Those who want to take part must pm [private message] me [Mi-Amigo] with their answers between 12 noon today [Wed 16 Dec] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thursday 17 Dec]

- allowing 36 hours to pm your answers.

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

The answers - and results for each player taking part - will be posted on morning of Fri 18 Dec.

THE RULES

Each member must pm [private message] their answers to me [Mi-Amigo] after 12 noon today [Wed 16 December 2020] and before 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thurs 17 December 2020].

No member is to post any answer on the thread.

Any answer received after 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday 17 December will be declared void.

No googling, wiki, youtube search for answers.

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

New members, who have recently joined the Community, and members who have not taken part before, are welcome to join the "regulars" and take part in this quiz

Each correct answer given by each member will be awarded a star .

In addition, the following trophies will be awarded for

12 correct      10 correct     8 correct     6 correct     4 correct

answers          answers       answers      answers      answers

diamond-thinker.jpggolden-thinker.jpg     silver-thinker.jpg    bronze-thinker-crop.jpg      red-thinker.jpg

Diamond         Golden         Silver         Bronze              Red

Thinker           Thinker       Thinker      Thinker           Thinker

Please feel free to post any comments on the questions - but not the answers - on this thread.

If you have any questions about the quiz, please ask and I will reply here.

Thank you everyone for your interest and for making the quiz so popular.

I hope everyone enjoys today`s White Room Quiz, and find it fun.

Good luck, everyone

@Mi-Amigo  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 67
66 REPLIES 66

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36247 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Catch it..........!!

*beep!*!

Bin it! 

Kill it... 

Great starter for 10, @jonsie  - sorry for polluting your quiz topic, @Mi-Amigo 🤣

Message 41 of 67

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123169 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

You're obsessed @pgn LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 42 of 67

Mi-Amigo
  • 25197 Posts
  • 816 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @jonsie 

I like the gif

pm with your 12 answers received - before deadline

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 43 of 67

Mi-Amigo
  • 25197 Posts
  • 816 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE ANSWERS:

Q1 PARTRIDGE [nature] Where do grey partridges and red-legged partridges build their nests?

A1  hollow on the ground or in hedges or bushes

Q2 TURTLE DOVES [words] The term "turtle doves" owes its origin to what? 

A2   not colour or any connection with "turtles". correct answer "tur tur" the sound of the birds

Q3 FRENCH HENS [food & drink] French hens barbezieux are native to which region of France?

A3   Charente region

Q4 CALLING BIRDS [space] "Early Bird" was a US satellite with "calls" between N America and Europe

What was the official name of the "Early Bird" satellite?

A4   Intelsat 1

Q5 GOLD RINGS [places] Gold rings for the Royal weddings of Elizabeth II, Diana, Kate, and Meghan

were all made from gold mined from which Welsh mine? 

A5  Clogau St David`s mine

Q6 GEESE [literature] "The Fox And The Geese" is a German folk tale in a 1815 collection of stories.

What was the title of the collection of stories? 

A6  Brothers Grimm`s Fairy Tales

Q7 SWANS [events] Swan upping takes place annually on the River Thames between Sunbury and

Abingdon on which month of the year?

A7   July

Q8 MAIDS [tv] In the TV series "Downton Abbey" who played the characters Anna, head housemaid,

and Gwen, the underhousemaid? [star for both; half star for one correct answer] 

A8   Anna = Joanna Froggatt;   Gwen = Rose Leslie

Q9 LADIES [art] Which Spanish painter painted "Las Meninas" [Ladies-in-waiting] in 1656?

A9   Deigo Velazquez

Q10 LORDS [sport] In July 2020, it was announced that cricketer Ian Botham was to be made a peer.

Three other cricketers have been made a peer [not hereditary]. Name one of them

A10  source [Daily Mail] have three non-hereditary peers - David Shepherd; Colin Cowdrey; and

Learie Constantine. Further checks on other sources [after question posted] revealed others

Alastair Cook; and Charless Williams. Any of these are accepted as a correct answer 

Q11 PIPERS [music] "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" was the debut studio album of which English

rock band in 1967?

A11   Pink Floyd

Q12 DRUMMERS [history] Apart from drumming to regulate the marching of soldiers, what important

role did drummers play during the American Civil War?

A12  not communcations. the correct answer is stretcher-bearers for surgeons on fields of battle.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 44 of 67

Cleoriff
  • 123169 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Thank God!! rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 45 of 67

MI5
  • 144734 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions

Craig Revel Horwood's Strictly putdowns in Annie | Ticketmaster UK

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 46 of 67

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I think I might have got one guess right @Mi-Amigo or at least I was thinking of it earlier. grin 

Message 47 of 67

Mi-Amigo
  • 25197 Posts
  • 816 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE RESULTS:

@LukasB 

Q1   correct - awarded star Q2 pass   Q3 pass   Q4 correct - awarded star  Q5 pass

Q6   correct - awarded star Q7 pass   Q8 pass   Q9 Dali - incorrect               Q10 pass

Q11 correct - awarded star  Q12 communications - incorrect

plus, for four correct answers, also awarded

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker

@MI5 

Q1   correct - awarded star  Q2 colour of wings - incorrect   Q3 correct - awarded star 

Q4   correct - awarded star  Q5 correct - awarded star          Q6 correct - awarded star 

Q7   correct - awarded star  Q8 both correct - awarded star Q9 Picasso - incorrect

Q10 correct - awarded star  Q11 correct - awarded star        Q12 communications - incorrect

plus, for more than eight correct answers also awarded

silver-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker

@pgn 

Q1   correct - awarded star  Q2 correct - awarded star  Q3   correct - awarded star 

Q4   correct - awarded star  Q5 correct - awarded star  Q6   correct - awarded star 

Q7   correct - awarded star  Q8 Thing 1 + 2 - incorrect   Q9   correct - awarded star

Q10 correct - awarded star  Q11 correct - awarded starQ12 correct - awarded star

plus, for more than 10 correct answers, also awarded

golden-thinker.jpg

Gold Thinker

@Cleoriff 

Q1   correct - awarded star Q2  correct - awarded star  Q3 correct - awarded star

Q4   correct - awarded star Q5  correct - awarded star  Q6 correct - awarded star

Q7   correct - awarded star Q8  correct - awarded star  Q9 correct - awarded star

Q10 correct - awarded starQ11 correct - awarded star  Q12 correct - awarded star 

plus, for 12 correct answers, also awarded

diamond-thinker.jpg

Diamond Thinker

@Marjo 

Q1 rocks - incorrect      Q2 like turtles with wings - incorrect   Q3 Bordeaux - incorrect

Q4 Sputnik - incorrect  Q5 pass   Q6 pass   Q7 correct - awarded star

Q8 Tilda Swinton - incorrect; Patricia Routledge - incorrect  Q9 Frida Kahlo - incorrect

Q10 John ?? - incorrect  Q11 Pearl Jam - incorrect  Q12 improve morale - incorrect

Total: one star for one correct answer

@Anonymous 

Q1   correct - awarded star Q2 ring round neck - incorrect   Q3 Brittany - incorrect

Q4   Telstar - incorrect         Q5 correct - awarded star           Q6 Aesop`s Tales - incorrect

Q7   April - incorrect            Q8 pass         Q9 pass                    Q10 correct - awarded star  

Q11 Led Zepellin - incorrect  Q12 strike Fear of God in opposition - incorrect         

Total: three  star for three correct answers

@gmarkj 

Q1   correct - awarded  star  Q2 pass   Q3 South - incorrect

Q4   correct - awarded star   Q5 correct - awarded star   Q6 correct - awarded star 

Q7   April - incorrect      Q8 both correct - awarded star  Q9 pass    Q10 correct - awarded star 

Q11 correct - awarded star   Q12 for executions - incorrect 

plus, for more than six correct also awarded

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg

Bronze Thinker

@jonsie 

Q1   correct - awarded star  Q2 correct - awarded starQ3 correct - awarded star 

Q4   correct - awarded star  Q5 correct - awarded star Q6 correct - awarded star 

Q7   correct - awarded star  Q8 Joanne Frogatt - correct - awarded half star

Q9   correct - awarded star  Q10 correct - awarded star    

Q11 correct - awarded star  Q12 correct - awarded star 

plus, for more than 10 correct answers, also awarded

golden-thinker.jpg

Gold Thinker

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 48 of 67

LukasB
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

wait wait wait @Cleoriff @MI5 do you see this? I got a whaaaaaaaaaat????

@Mi-Amigo is this an early present? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 49 of 67

MI5
  • 144734 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions

Impressed @LukasB trophy

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 50 of 67