Not applicable
40 REPLIES 40

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

You are exactly right @Beenherebefore if this doesn't work out then I think they should put the show on hiatus again

Although perhaps something more permanent than an hiatus

"Doctor Who first appeared on BBC TV at 17:16:20 GMT on Saturday, 23 November 1963"

That was the day after JFK was assassinated almost to the hour.......time to call it a day I reckon.....54 years has put a strain on the storyline writers and it's beginning to show.

Imagine if JFK hadn't been assassinated......he would now be 100 years old......just as old as Dr Who is feeling.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 21 of 41

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Interesting discussion! I myself haven't watched Dr Who ever since Rose left. I think perhaps the series has evolved so much since then that it would not feel very familiar to me anyways at the moment, so having this newest change might make it a completely new show for me. grin I might give it a go once again. How many years has it been since Rose left?

Message 22 of 41

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145091 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
Dalekets will now run around shouting "Exfoliate, Exfoliate"
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 23 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 123382 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Hmmmmm....

To quote a news article I've just read In relation to our first female doctor...

'Let's  look at that Doctor Who job description in full....Be prepared to do all the Time Travelling, Dalek destroying and regenerating of previous doctors - but for two thirds of the salary...and a smaller sonic screwdriver"....Drum Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 41

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Dalekets will now run around shouting "Exfoliate, Exfoliate"

LOL

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 25 of 41

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

Interesting discussion! I myself haven't watched Dr Who ever since Rose left. I think perhaps the series has evolved so much since then that it would not feel very familiar to me anyways at the moment, so having this newest change might make it a completely new show for me. grin I might give it a go once again. How many years has it been since Rose left?

Rose left during David Tennant's Doctor if memory serves so at least 7 years ago maybe more. I can't remember how long Matt Smith was the Doctor before Peter Capaldi who will have done 3 years when he regenerates.

Message 26 of 41

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@MI5 Fantastic LOL

@Glory1 Thanks, that's quite long indeed! Definitely good time to come back to it now. I'll skip the earlier seasons though... I hope I won't be entirely too confused about things. tongue

Message 27 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You are exactly right @Beenherebefore if this doesn't work out then I think they should put the show on hiatus again

Although perhaps something more permanent than an hiatus

"Doctor Who first appeared on BBC TV at 17:16:20 GMT on Saturday, 23 November 1963"

That was the day after JFK was assassinated almost to the hour.......time to call it a day I reckon.....54 years has put a strain on the storyline writers and it's beginning to show.

Imagine if JFK hadn't been assassinated......he would now be 100 years old......just as old as Dr Who is feeling.

I agree with putting the programme to 'bed for good'

I remember watching the 1st programme in black & white all those years ago as a little kid ... I then watched it with my son, who is now 32 ... it was iconic att

I did like Christoper Eccleston as The Doctor

I thought Peter Capaldi played the role as a joke slight_frown

I shall give this female actor a chance but I don't hold out much hope 

Message 28 of 41

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I also liked Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor @Anonymous but my favourite was David Tennant.

I came to Doctor Who late in the day, around Tom Baker's time but only watched the occasional episode. I started rrgularly watching when it was rebooted with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. I then continued watching when David Tennant took over. But I stopped watching when Matt Smith took over as he made me want to put my foot through my telly. As for Peter Capaldi. I love him as an actor generally but as Doctor Who he was awful.

I just can't see a female Doctor though I never had a problem with a female captain of the USS Enterprise. For me it just doesn't compute and I feel it's a case of the BBC trying to show it's into diversity. Now if the new Doctor had been black I might be more inclined to believe them!

Message 29 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 123382 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:
Now if the new Doctor had been black I might be more inclined to believe them!

Re the new Doctor being black, they did mention Idris Elba at one time. Mind you they also mentioned him in relation to James Bond. Now it appears Daniel Craig has agreed to do just one more film. 

As I said earlier David Tennant has always been my favourite Doctor. Mainly because he was already established as a well respected actor and I started watching it again when he took over. I must have been the only one who liked Matt Smith though. He was unknown but I just thought he did a good job.  Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 41