cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tattoos </3

Anonymous
Not applicable

i got stopped on the school run today by an older lady, who yelled across the street from me that i should be ashamed of myself..

im thinking "do i have an offensive t shirt on and ive forgot?" (its happened) no, do i have weird colour hair? (again, its happened) no, am i murdering a child (i was on my way TO the school but..) no. of course not. i look at her to find her staring at my face with disgust. She actually was yelling at me because i have Snakebites..its a minor set of lip piercings... i have two small labrets in to keep them open but respectful, so i said to this lady " I'm sorry you find something wrong, but its my body, so kindly keep your judgemental opinion to yourself!"

She THEN points me out to her friend (same age) and said "SHE shouldnt be walking around with that pen all over her body!" even though i was a mere 5 feet away! she proceeded to scream and rant about how i shouldnt be "allowed out" and "id make an awful parent" without even looking at my face. or recognising i was there, stunned.

Calmly i cross the road, and i stand in front of this lady. i smile, and say " Excuse, me i could not help but overhear you, may i please have a word?" she looked down her nose with disgust at me,but let me continue... i pulled up the sleeve of my t shirt and asked her if it offended her, she replied that it did. i asked her for a few minutes of her time, her friend agreed, so the woman was stuck there and had to listen. i explained that i had done a lot of youthwork, had been in roles of responsibilty, been straight edge for 5 years,saved a life (we wont go there) had a child, and was keeping a roof over her head, paying what i could to help others, and asked her if that offended her, she said (quite snottily) "of course not." i went on to say that i had designed all of my tattoos, and that they each had a key part in who i am, i explained each one (i have 30+) and as a parting word to them both i replied " I wear my life on my skin, how dare you be so judgemental at the thought that somebody is brave enough to be different, im glad i met you, becasue i hope today has taught you one thing, age doesnt matter, tattooed girls dont matter, the bloody weather doesnt matter, what you will remember is that i showed you enough respect to come and address your issues face to face, and you gave me none. Have a good evening ladies. try not to be judgemental next time"

Has anybody else had this experience? or similar? sorry for the essay, and i know its off topic. but with the season of goodwill and all that...  

C ^^{}^^

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hear hear, I hate judgmental people, I get it all the time because of my disabilities but I just do the best at what I can & how much I can without causing injury or harm. I just say it how it is & if people don't like it, go stuff themselves. My friend has an illness, is tired all the time, needs to use a scooter to get about & single handed raises her daughter at the same time

Message 2 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

kudos! 

Message 3 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers babe

Message 4 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately some people are beyond education and lead sad sheltered lives. 

My father has over 20 tattoos mostly large ones and the majority were done in the late 70's and eighties look like prison tat's now I guess but they do not define him as a person and all have a story. 

My mother has a tattoo and my sister has 5, again they do not define them and they each have there own stories. 

I will say bloody good on you to try and educate them. My Brother is a double amputee and when kids stare he always asks them if they want to ask anything or know what happened, rather than shouting at them to stop staring educating the kids is the best policy.

Message 5 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

My daughter happily draws all over mine and accepts em, so ive done my job right! i will ALWAYS treat people with respect, i was raised very old school, it just astounded me that she was happily screaming at me at her age. i plan on having a lot more, and love them, and am happy that normally people show a nicer interest x

Message 6 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

What sort of style would you class your tattoos as?

I keep looking at Somoan tattoos. 

Message 7 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Old school slight_smile Sailor Jerry-esque ( the nautical, pin up kind) and a few with a horrorpop twist (halloween cupcake, zombie pin up) x

Message 8 of 34

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I'm so glad you responded like that, in a similar situation I would get tongue tied and not have an answer.

Respect Carrie! slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 9 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Carrie 

OMG, love it. Not sure I can talk tattoos with you anymore lol

Message 10 of 34