cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Programmes they SHOULDN'T have brought back!

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

So to run alongside the TV programmes they should bring back, how about the reverse side of the coin?

As I'm the creator of the thread, I get to cheat, I'll name TWO just off the top of my head

• Open All Hours....ok, Granville and company.....and whatever name it flies by now...
  • Magnum P I....oh dear! What a traversty to Tom Selleck!

Any more great TV that disappoints when revived?

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Glory1I had a look and, according to Daily Telegraph of 6 Jan 2016, from the first episode of Midsomer Murders in 1997 to end of 2015, there have been the following in the fictional Midsomer county:

222 murders, 11 accidental deaths, 11 suicides, 7 deaths from natural causes;

murder weapons include:

cricket bat, iron, saucepan, microphone, camera strap, candlestick, doped horse, pitchfork, spear, nicotine, syringe, fungus, necktie, slide projector, razor, drinks cabinet, plough, hammer, hemlock, claret, bottles of relish, frog, arrow, guillotine, theatrical knife, trident, hatpin, Iron Maiden (not the band, medieval torture chamber).

Guess where I`m going for my holdays? tongue_winking

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 21 of 40

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

@Glory1I had a look and, according to Daily Telegraph of 6 Jan 2016, from the first episode of Midsomer Murders in 1997 to end of 2015, there have been the following in the fictional Midsomer county:

222 murders, 11 accidental deaths, 11 suicides, 7 deaths from natural causes;

murder weapons include:

cricket bat, iron, saucepan, microphone, camera strap, candlestick, doped horse, pitchfork, spear, nicotine, syringe, fungus, necktie, slide projector, razor, drinks cabinet, plough, hammer, hemlock, claret, bottles of relish, frog, arrow, guillotine, theatrical knife, trident, hatpin, Iron Maiden (not the band, medieval torture chamber).

Guess where I`m going for my holdays? tongue_winking

As far away from Midsomer as you can get is my best guess LOL

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 22 of 40

Mi-Amigo
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Glory1 

so Midsomer is a "no, no"; so is The Village (as in The Prisoner)....

I know where I`d probably be at home (after what I posted elsewhere wink music Hotel California Whistle

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 23 of 40

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Jeremy Brett was never a patch on Benedicts Sherlock. He was just a Sherlock.He was devoid of Mind Palaces LOL

Benedict portrays him as a high functioning sociopath. Martin Freeman is a superb Watson. Also Andrew Scott's interpretation of Moriarty is the most frightening I've ever witnessed Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 40

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Jeremy Brett was never a patch on Benedicts Sherlock. He was just a Sherlock.He was devoid of Mind Palaces LOL

Benedict portrays him as a high functioning sociopath. Martin Freeman is a superb Watson. Also Andrew Scott's interpretation of Moriarty is the most frightening I've ever witnessed Fear

Different times and different interpretations. Jeremy Brett played the Sherlock of the era in the books. Benedict Cumberbatch plays a modern version. Both great in their day, I think.

I do agree with you @Cleoriff about Moriarity. Andrew Scott's portrayal is pure evil

Message 25 of 40

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Thing is @Glory1  I wasn't interested in ANY Sherlock till Benedict rocked up and brought him into the 21st century.

For me the others were ordinary. Same old same old.

A bit like anyone else other than David Suchet trying to play Poirot.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 40

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

That's where we differ @Cleoriff. I read all the Sherlock stories and of the Conan Doyle era, I preferred Jeremy Brett on TV  and Basil Rathbone in films.

Don't get me wrong I love Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock. But his interpretation is not Conan Doyle's Sherlock, which Jeremy Brett played to perfection.

But we do agree about Poirot. No one, and I mean no one is a better Poirot than David Suchet. He's what I envisaged when I read the novels and short stories.

Message 27 of 40

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I think it's probably because I didn't read ANY of the Sherlock books, so I had no preconceived ideas. 

When the new Sherlock hit the TV screens I watched originally due to the writers Stephen Moffat and Mark Gatiss  (Dr Who)

That was it for me, job done.

I know it's nothing to do with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's interpretation and that (for me) was a bonus. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 40

Mi-Amigo
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriffand @Glory1 with regards Poirot, I agree that David Suchet was Poirot....

To illustrate that, at Christmas BBC screened a new version of the A,B,C Murders (which, in my opinion, was a deliberate attempt to rival ITV screening the same episode but with David Suchet) and the new one was nowhere near as good as the ITV version.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 29 of 40

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Well it was the writers plus Benedict Cumberbatch that started me watching as I was curious about the modern take on Sherlock. And I wasn't disappointed.

Message 30 of 40