Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strictly Come Dancing 2020

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

So it will be going ahead this year, despite Covid 19. It will start a month later than usual in October.

They have announced the first 6 contestants

I presume each couple will maintain their own social bubble and I think they are planning a limited audience (the info is so limited, which is why I'm late posting!!)

I do know that Bruno Tonioli's appearances will be limited due to his appearances in the US.

So I'll post this in case @sheepdog @Anonymous @jonsie @MI5 and @Mi-Amigo are still interested.

Actress Caroline Quentin is the first contestant announcedCaroline Quentin.jpg

Then we have Jason Bell, a former professional American football player living in the UK now

Jason Bell.jpg

Third contestant is Max George from the group The Wanted (We all remember Jay McGuinness from the same group)

Max George

Max George.jpg

4th Contestant is Ranvir Singh (Good Morning Britain)

Ranvir Singh.jpg

5th Contestant is Clara Amfo from BBC Radio 1

Claire Amfo.jpg

And just announced this morning is Nicola Adams the boxer, who will be dancing as part of a same sex couple

nicola Adams.jpg

I'll update the thread when further contestants are announced.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 111
110 REPLIES 110

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

First thoughts...

1) So much emphasis on all the Covid guidelines they have adhered to

2) Much better without a screaming clapping audience (limited socially distanced)

3) Only 3 judges as Bruno can't be there due to travel restrictions (good)

4) Group dances were fine and good to see the Dave Arch Band.

5) Apparently Kelvin Fletcher will be appearing.

6) Always thought I was quite knowledgeable about singers/groups. After seeing the guest artists, I have changed my mind..yahoo

Currently taking hours to show the pairings.

So far...

Caroline Quentin is paired with Johannes (should be fun)

Clara Amfo and Aljaz

Ranvir Singh and Giovanni

HRVY and Janette

Jason Bell and Luba

Jamie Laing and Karen

Nicola Adams and Katya (SCD do same sex pairings)

Jacquie Smith and Anton (no surprise there then!)

Maisie Smith and Gorka.

JJ Chalmers and Amy (JJ was injured in Afganistan)

Bill Bailey and Oti (just to make sure Oti doesn't win again) upside_down

Max George and Dianne (Max was in the Wanted as was Jay McGuinness who was brilliant and won)

Great to see Kelvin and Oti dance once more...(A socially distanced dance) wink

The first group dance of the season ended the show. If you watched you would have seen those with a chance and also the others with no chance.LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable

Best bit was the music to the celeb / partner group dance = 'Two Hearts', a bouncy dancey tune

Good to see Neil Jones dance well

Caroline Quentin or Jacquie Smith to exit 1st

Always enjoy watching Aljaz and Jeanette dance

I fancy the former American football player Jason Bell

Partnership to watch is Nicola & Katya

I shall be watching next week

More info
I STILL heart ED BALLS LOL

Message 22 of 111

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Anonymous do you mean you fancy Jason Bell or fancy him to win grin

New acronym: SCD SD OCD. Just in case you've missed it for the oh last six months.

Partnerships look well-matched this series. Anton & Anon look to be going out next week.

Justin Bieber and Tiffany already annoy me so mid-table mediocrity.

I'll give Katya 3 weeks as either the voting public will find it boring or she breaks the rules because she can thus boring everyone because the judges marking will be inconsistent in order not to offend the SJW twitter mob. 

Bruno who? Who cares tongue 

Kelvin's one minute dance!!! One minute? One minute? Oh well. Second best part of the show next to a double dose of Nadiya heart_eyes

Musical guests: This was a number 1? I've had more musicality from a Casio digital watch alarm.

I see Tess's wardrobe assistant has either got a payrise or been sacked. By the looks of things, Claudia seems to have employed them as that outfit has more class wrapped around a London marathon runner. 

Sheepdog in "To remind you: this post has been brought to by current social distance regulations" mode

Message 23 of 111

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@sheepdog 

I think we were reminded at least a million times about the social distance rules. All to be broken when they nip off home post show.

I think the partnership of Nicola and Katya is interesting.

Katya being the one who was caught snogging her partner (Seann Walsh) a couple of years back, ultimately breaking up her marriage to the 'ginger' dancer, Neil. It appears he remains as a backing dancer in this show.

Is the partnership designed to stop the Strictly curse?

As for Tess and Claudia. I have always preferred Claudia of the two. Not so wooden as t'other one.

I watched Jamie in the group dance...quite obvious we haven't got another Kelvin there.

Totally out of time.

Amused by the celebs saying how pleased they were with their partners. Jason Bell, how the hell would he know who's who?

Loved Craig saying he would be using his 2,3 and 4 padde a lot... yahoo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 111

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Social media alive and incensed about Anton being paired with another no hoper rofl

https://www.entertainmentdaily.co.uk/tv/strictly-bbc-viewers-think-anton-du-beke-will-be-first-out-a... 

I'm not sure why? I think Anton is well past his sell by date. Brilliant at ballroom, absolute rubbish at the Latin dances.

Also many seem pleased with Oti and Bill Brydon. Having watched the group dance again, I do have to say he was pretty good compared to some of the others, like Jamie and the Home Secretary woman.

If I had to pick a favourite (a bit dicey at this early stage as he might dance with the grace of a donkey) it would be Max and Dianne. Purely because he is in the Wanted along with Jay McGuinness and I'm just hoping for a repeat of that wonderful jive...

Worth another look drool

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's say @sheepdog I wouldn't mind a turn around the SCD ballroom with Jason Bell wink

Did Caroline Quentin do a lift in the group dance? ... I did like her in Men Behaving Badly

There are a few 'pouters' male and female ... I won't be voting for them

Great to see Jay and Aliona's jive again @Cleoriff 

In dancing schools and the lower grade competitions girls do dance together, as there is a shortage of boys ... perhaps the girl dancing as man will wear a dark coloured jump suit in latin american ... in ballroom the all girl couple would wear matching dresses.

@sheepdog you make me laugh out loud with your logical / analytical observations and may I pay you a sincere compliment ... = ... you have a superb acerbic sense of wit / humour slight_smile 

Message 26 of 111

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the mention @Cleoriff 

I was going to watch it but unfortunately missed it... but will try and see it on catch up.

From comments on this thread, sounds like an interesting intro. Thanks everyone.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 27 of 111

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Forgot to post dances and songs

Bill and Oti - Cha Cha Cha to Pata Pata by Miriam Makeba

Clara and Aljaž - Cha Cha Cha to Don't Start Now by Dua Lipa

Caroline and Johannes - American Smooth to 9-5 (Morning Train) by Sheena Easton

Jacqui and Anton - Foxtrot to Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life by Monty Python

HRVY and Janette - Jive to Faith by Stevie Wonder feat. Ariana Grande

JJ and Amy - Waltz to What A Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong

Jason and Luba - American Smooth to My Girl by The Temptations

Jamie and Karen - Cha Cha Cha to Think About Things by Daði og Gagnamagnið

Max and Dianne - Tango to Best Fake Smile by James Bay

Maisie and Gorka - Samba to Samba (Conga) by Gloria Estefan

Ranvir and Giovanni - Paso Doble to End of Time by Beyoncé

Nicola and Katya - Quickstep to Get Happy by Ella Fitzgerald

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 111

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

This will be quick as I have been busy and needed to eat....

Firstly Motsi looked as if she was encased in plaster of paris!!

Jamie and Karen... Cha Cha better than expected although out of time. Scored 14

Caroline and Johannes American Smooth. Simply excellent.  Scored 21

Max and Dianne. Tango. I thought he was ok and a bit undermarked. Scored 17

Clara and Aljaz Cha Cha. Excellent I thought and definitely undermarked. Scored 18

Anton and Jacquie. Foxtrot. Underwhelming. Scored 13

Amy and JJ, Waltz. Did well. Scored 19

Maisie and Gorka. Samba. Excellent. Well deserved score of 24

Jason and Luba American Smooth. Underwhelming Scored 16

Ranvir and Giovanni Paso Doble. Very impressed for a first dance. Scored 21

Nicola nd Katya. Quickstep. I though Nicola was clumsy, even though the judges were gushing. Overmarked with 21.

Bill Bailey and Oti Cha Cha...Amusing but not very good, Score 15

Hrvy and Janette. Jive. Saved the best till last. Brilliant. Scored 25.

I think it was a bit much ....all contestants dancing on the first night. Although as the show started later I expect this is the reason.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 111

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I should do an off-the-shoulder number review smile Tess: worst dressed of the night & won't be missed if she gets replaced by a manequin. Bruno is getting let out of his cupboard next week so we can see his er, new look.

Missed the first two dances so can't comment on those. Surprisingly not bad overall with Bieber Being the Best of the Bunch wink Unfortunately, the Manrara factor will come into play later in the series where she gives him too much and the routine gets him ejected before his time. Tiffany was good though I think a little more elegance is needed overall. 

Jason looked a bit ahead of Luba but should progress quite well with that enthusiasm. As will Bill Bailey so don't rule him out just yet. Anton & Anon totally forgetable so favourites to exit. Not so sure on Clara - latin may be her thing but lets see how she does in ballroom. 

Ranvir was unexpectedly good but sadly let down by that poor choice of tune which was a shame as the JJ Chalmers tune/routine was perfectly matched and sung a few minutes before. 

Agree with you @Cleoriff Nicola was clumsy and to be honest, I was confused over who was leading at times. Look out for more matching outfits that do neither any favours. 

Message 30 of 111