Did you mean: 

STRICTLY COME DANCING 2024.

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125613 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

It's that time of year again.

@sheepdogcomes out of hibernation to join me and others like @RunrigForever  to comment on BBC's 'flagship' entertainment show. SCD.

I did wonder if it would take place this year as it's had some really bad press recently.

Two of the male professionals, Giovanni Pernice and Graziano Prima have been accused of abusive teaching methods. Giovanni has denied any wrongdoing. Last year he danced with Amanda Abington, who dropped out of the show. Graziano danced with Zara Larsson and he admitted kicking her. He was sacked immediately.

The BBC  have said they will be putting advisors into the training rooms to monitor all training and ensuring the welfare of the celebrities. So away we go again.

It doesn't start until September so I'll be adding to this thread as and when other celebs are revealed.

The first two contestants have been announced;

CHRIS McCAUSLAND - COMEDIAN

Chris is a really funny guy. He's also totally blind. As he said, this should be a laugh. 😂

SCD 24 Chris.jpg

The next contestant is JB GILL (from the boy band JLS)

SCD 24 JB.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

RunrigForever
Level 21: Regular
  • 2848 Posts
  • 38 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for this thread @Cleoriff 

I did wonder if the show would go ahead with all the negative criticism about it

I hope for a transformed show.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 2 of 15

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3315 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Cleoriff Ah you beat me to starting the yearly thread. Hibernating for a while so it seems on this board! I was going to rename it as "Str-Kick-ly 2024"but there's far more worse puns to come in the next few weeks.

Given this is the 20th anniversary, not exactly a great start pre-show with all the allegations though Laura Whitmore has piped up as well and nobody seems to be paying attention to her as usual. I'll just say all 3 were well below their potential in the show and the book/show sales are exactly going well either for them. 

They've brought back Alijaz so did we notice he wasn't there last year? But he's a safe pair of hands for the show and don't think there are any new pro's or exits other than Grazia & Giovani. Same judges and not yet been confirmed but you know it being the 20th year, Tess & Panda will be back. 

Onwards then. This series we have ultrasonic excitement of the barrel scraping! Next year, if it continues, we'll be into electron microscoping the meaning of celebrity.  No idea who the blind guy is but given the past disabilities of contestants and giving it a good go, one to watch (no pun intended). Another contender from JLS so cue the other one who did Strictly the other year giving him big support. Every week. 

These photos on the BBC all look weird. Like some fish-eye lens effect makes them look creepy. 

Next set of celebs now released:

Dr Punam Krishan. Another NHS GP moonlighting on the circuit whilst you struggle to get an appointment:

p0jgrxby

Toyah: Needs no introduction, but if you do, a bit of a flash back in the 80's. Bad song reference: one of the show Mysteries....

Strictly photo with filter:

p0jgr650

Actual Toyah:

and finally for today. Lets Go Compare with Wynne Evans. But no mention of his actual reason for being famous since 2009 on the BBC as to avoid advertising....hmmm, could be good fun this one:

p0jgr580

Message 3 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 125613 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

Nice to hear from you @sheepdog. Great name "Str-Kick-Ly" 😂

Dr Punam Khrishnan is on BBC Morning Live.

Toyah. Mmmmm I agree, a lovely soft filter has been applied to that photo.

Wynne Evans. Was happy to be the silly Go Compare singer, until his ego decided he should reveal himself.

Not worked since 😂

By the way Chris McCausland is a really funny comedian. The fact he's blind gives him plenty of material.

However, by his own admission, he can't dance.

I think his teacher/professional will have more of an issue than Giovanni had with Rose.

Re JB  from JLS, it was Aston from the same group who was on the show before.

Craig made a video appearance on This Morning to give a pep talk to Chris and JB. He was quite funny.

Roll on the next celebs.

Nice to hear from you @RunrigForever xx

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 125613 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

Two more 'Celebrities' have been revealed. I use this word loosely as both of them made themselves famous by appearing on reality shows!!

Pete Wicks : Made in Chelsea/Towie star

SCD 24 Pete.jpg

I got quite excited when I read his name. Mistakenly thought it was Joe Wicks, the fitness guru. No such luck.

Apparently Pete has the nickname 'Pirate' I've only seen him once on TV. This was when he bagged a free ride to Australia to be the friend of Sam Thomson  who won I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here. Pete and Sam run a podcast called 'Staying Relevant' Mmmmmm!

Oh yes, he's also close friends with one of last years contestants Zara McDermott, who 'danced' and complained about Graziano.

TASHA GHOURI.

A model and professional dancer who appeared on Love Island. Was born deaf and wears a cochlear implant

I can see the moans already.  She is a professional dancer so shouldn't be on SCD.  😂

SCD 24 Tasha.jpg

Both of these were announced this morning so not sure if there are more to come.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 125613 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

SHAYNE WARD Actor and Singer

His debut single and album topped the UK charts, with his single, That's My Goal making it to Christmas number one after he won the second series of The X Factor in 2005. As well as being an accomplished music artist, Shayne is a multi-award-winning actor with his character, Aidan Connor in ITV’s Coronation Street, earning him Best Newcomer at the NTA’s and Best Storyline at the Soap Awards amongst others. In addition, Shayne has performed in a number of musicals and feature films, including Rock of Ages on the West End stage. He’s currently the lead character in crime-drama series The Good Ship Murder on Channel 5.

SCD 24 Shayne.jpg

SARAH HADLAND. ACTRESS

Sarah has an extensive background in film, television and theatre. She is best known for her role as Stevie in the BAFTA nominated sitcom Miranda as well as being one of the original cast members of the multi award winning series Horrible Histories, both for the BBC. Sarah was nominated for an RTS Award for Best Comedy Performance for her leading role in ITV’s comedy series The Job Lot. Sarah has appeared in numerous films, including the Bond epic Quantum of Solace and her notable theatre credits include Noises Off on the West End. (Never Heard of her!

SCD 24 Sarah.jpg

PS: Please come back @sheepdog 

We are up to contestant 9 and you have disappeared. 😂🤣

Are you setting Google alight to find out more about these Celebs ?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 15

sheepdog
  • 3315 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

The olympics and other stuff unfortunately means I couldn't post before. 

Anyway, Pete Wicks from TOWIE so we should be grateful it's not Gemma Collins from TOWIE. But you know Strictly and their time fillers means we will get The GC at some point. So this one gets the ultrasonic celebrity detector knob at 10. Oh lets just call him Graziano instead. 

Tasha Ghouli - another with the UCD knob at 10. Still never seen Love Island so that's a plus. A trained dancer you say and a wikipedia article says er, not exactly mainstream. Hard act to follow after Rose Ayling-Ellis being deaf as well but another interesting one to watch. Interestingly, she was seeing a certain Giovanni Pernice a while back so I'm guessing we won't be getting any video filler featuring him.

Turning the UCD down quite a few notches to Mr Re-invented is Shayne Ward. Hmm, I think a potential finalist here but I'm just guessing but he's one for working hard. 

Sarah Hadland: to be brutal unless Miranda was mentioned I'd have turned up the UCD up to 11. Then I googled her. Bit part actor over the years really. Could be fun, could be not. But you decide: make-up, filter or filler:

sheepdog_0-1723143100316.png

Message 7 of 15

sheepdog
  • 3315 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

oh two more and tick the box for the obligatory Eastender entry and one with zero jobs outside of EE is Jamie Borthwick. Apparently won 2013 Christmas special which was so special I don't remember it at all. Oh wait, it was last year's Christmas special! So guess he's about to or just left the show then?

Next up and already revealed last week by himself after winning another Gold medal in Paris is Tom Dean: 

Will he be another Adam Peaty or not is the big question. 

Message 8 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 125613 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

@sheepdog 

Now you've shown various other pics of Sarah Hadland, I realise she's one of those people you say 'I know her, she's been in  Errr...ummm...errr.

As for Jamie Borthwick, I don't watch EE so not sure if he's in or out?!

Tom Dean. ...Crikey, a current Gold medalist in Paris. Looking good.

So far, that's 7 men and 4 women. As I can count, I'm expecting another two women tomorrow!!?

Is it my imagination but are these 'celeb' names being released with a lot of speed this year?

Almost as if the SCD producers want us to know the 'show must go on' 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 15

sheepdog
  • 3315 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Contender number 12 are you ready? In another BBC desperate grasp at promotion of something nobody asked to return, we have Montell Douglas from Gladiators. Or rather, the former TeamGB athlete (in my opinion) who did ok in the sprints in her time but not quite reaching the top level at international level. Also one of the rare people who competed in both Summer and Winter Olympics. Sadly being the UK, winter sports is funded by a whip round in the pub so achieved a level according to funding. Might be the dark horse of the series:

So maybe another contestant revealed soon. I would be cynical and point out there's a few ex-MP's available for hire and one none other than a certain Dancing Queen ex-pm that would fit the missing tick box for this years list. Boris Johnston is also available.

Message 10 of 15