Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys, HAPPY HALLOWEEN! 

Hope you're having a great evening!

🎃 👻 🕯️ 💀 🦇 🎃 👻 🕯️ 💀 🦇 🎃 👻 🕯️ 💀 🦇 🎃 👻 🕯️ 💀 🦇 

As part of our Halloweek 🎃 I wanted to get some discussion going about 'spooky baking'! Specifically, Halloween cookiesHappy Dance

Sadly, my oven needs to be checked out by the gas man as when I was heating up a frozen pizza yesterday, the gas flames reached too high and burned half of it no matter how much I tried to adjust the heat. However, once the issue has been fixed I will be baking some spooky post-Halloween gingerbread men. smile

You might know from earlier discussions that I'm not much of a cook (yet...) so I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing when it comes to baking gingerbread cookies. I did it with my mum once or twice.... but I was 5-6 years old and all I remember is eating the dough.

@TallTrees you baked a spooky cake, didn't you? grin I saw an awesome photo in another thread. Anyone else here bake anything for Halloween? Any pumpkin soup etc.? Anyone make any cookies?

I can't use the oven yet, however, I can plan ahead. I'd love to hear some ideas for what you'd like my gingerbread cookies to look like once I make my first batch hopefully in the next week or so. I'll post some photos once they've come out of the oven. If you have any tips/tricks on how you make your gingerbread cookies delicious (or at least somewhat palatable) please do let me know, I'd really appreciate it!! Also, do you recommend making the dough from scratch or using one of those ready-made kits?

My first thought is to try make a pumpkin shape out of gingerbread which sounds easy enough - what else should I make? Any spooky characters or item shapes (or scary faces etc) you think could work? Let me know, I'll collect ideas in a list and try make them the best I can and will share a photo here once done so you can see the results. grin

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10655 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Aw @Marjo
So sorry to hear that your cooker had a turn🥴
I decorated another cake for your topic here. It doesn't look quite as scary ☹
It does have eyes on stalks though.
Pleased to pop a few ideas in later here.
Bye for now TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 13

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry to hear you`re having problems with your cooker @Marjo 

Here are a suggestion for designs for [post-] Halloween gingerbread men

Gingerbread Skeletons Recipe - BettyCrocker.com

I don`t bake, so nicked the images off the `net. The recipe is here:

recipe 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 3 of 13

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Eyes on stalks on a cake sounds great @TallTrees  sweat_smile sweat_smile Yeah it's a shame, I had planned on starting to cook a bit more in the next few days with the oven but will have to wait. Apparently a new oven is in order so I will wait a few weeks. In the meantime, I will make a plan for the Halloween cookies, although at that point it will be towards the end of November, so they will just be a batch of randomly creepy gingerbread monsters. grin Still fun to make I'm sure.

@Mi-Amigo Those look great!! Thanks for adding a photo! They don't look too difficult if I plan the "design" in advance. grin Thanks they've been added to my list for near-future baking!

Message 4 of 13

TallTrees
  • 10655 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

20201030_095620.jpgWell so that your thread has another photo bake this is my cake for you Halloween baking..@Marjo

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 13

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

smile Excellent @TallTrees ! What's inside?

Message 6 of 13

TallTrees
  • 10655 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
@Marjo
Fruit cake under ..but not any more sadly eaten!!😃😃

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 13

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Some stuff my daughter helped make...

20201103_132808_compress99.jpg

20201103_132812_compress75.jpg

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 8 of 13

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I wouldn`t mind one of those cakes on the left in second picture @gmarkj yum

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 13

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Oooo I'm getting hungry. Are those gingerbread cupcakes in the 2nd photo @gmarkj ?? grin In any case, looking great! The eyes of the face at the bottom in the 1st photo look like they're staring right at me. laughing

Message 10 of 13