Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

School Books vs Computers and Tablets

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Apparently, school books are on their way out and more schools are turning to modern technology in order to help to teach school children.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25888737

I personally think that it is a good idea, mainly because school books generally go out of date as soon as they are published, and therefore by using computers or tablets, the school children would constantly have up to date materials.

I have to admit, we didn't use blackboards with chalk much in school.  My era heavily involved projectors, white boards and also the giant computer screens (can't remember the name) and I found that a lot easier than books.  I find regurgitating school books difficult and hard to keep reciting as the information doesn't stick in my mind, but I find it easier to learn when it is discussed or shown on computer.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3325 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I have mixed feelings towards it. There's a lot to be said to go searching through books to find info and stuff you didn't think was relevant along with the feeling of handwritten notes makes things easier to remember than just a presentation. 

Strangely I can remember which notebook and where I wrote things compared to having to remember where I actually put the electronic version of it! 

Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I used books in the classroom.

My children used a mixture of books and laptops.

I see some schools issue iPads !
Message 3 of 15

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I don't think there can be any substitute for real books, being able to keep several open around you at the same time whilst making notes from each, htough there is one advantage about electronic sources - that they are easily updated with current information.

I still have a physics book somewhere that used the cgs system (pre SI units).

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 4 of 15

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I've been told that many schools in my area are now offering laptops to students.  Firstly, the teachers prefer homework to be typed up (easier to read).  Secondly, it helps students with their research.  I wonder how many students will use Google......  Whistle

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I remember having to sign to accept responsibility for one of the laptops.

As for google.

Probably the same amount as teachers who use it too ! wink
Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I see some schools issue iPads !

One of the first to try this was in Scotland - http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/the-school-that-gives-every-student-an-ipad-915539

I had been following the teacher, Fraser Speirs, blog back when he was going through the challenges and technological restriction applied by Apple when trying to set up access to the iPads for his pupils.

http://www.speirs.org/ - if you go back far enough you'll be able to see exactly what he went through and how he overcame all of the issues. Remember this was before most of the MDM solutions were available!

Message 7 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 126081 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

Whilst I can fully understand the need for technological advances in all things...(lets not stand still)...I personally prefer books..

Ahh.... the days of 100's of books and notes spread over the table with bits of paper marking the relevant pages...:smileywink:

Seriously though, its all to do with how an individual learns best I think....

I still use a notepad to jot stuff down...(in the same way I prefer real books to my Kindle)

However, my grandson rolls his eyes at me constantly when I question why he is at the computer inputting his homework, and I ask him where his school books are?....

Yeah I know...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 15

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I do like books, but books get creased pages and fall apart and get old whereas the Kindle or iPad (or other tablets) don't.

The one good thing I like about my iPad is that when I went on holiday before my exams I had a choice of 5 big heavy law books or the electronic version on my small iPad.  (And yes I did actually do revision.......inbetween sunbathing and swimming lol).

Message 9 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 126081 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

@gemz4the1 wrote:

I do like books, but books get creased pages and fall apart and get old whereas the Kindle or iPad (or other tablets) don't.

I think its an age thing Gemz slight_smile

I actually like old books...they can be re-read time and time again, and have a history.

And for me (an avid reader) there is absolutely nothing that beats the feeling of opening a

brand new book. Bliss... Smiley Very Happy

I don't get that with my Kindle ...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 15