Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

School Books vs Computers and Tablets

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Apparently, school books are on their way out and more schools are turning to modern technology in order to help to teach school children.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25888737

I personally think that it is a good idea, mainly because school books generally go out of date as soon as they are published, and therefore by using computers or tablets, the school children would constantly have up to date materials.

I have to admit, we didn't use blackboards with chalk much in school.  My era heavily involved projectors, white boards and also the giant computer screens (can't remember the name) and I found that a lot easier than books.  I find regurgitating school books difficult and hard to keep reciting as the information doesn't stick in my mind, but I find it easier to learn when it is discussed or shown on computer.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
It might sound weird but I love the smell of a new book
Message 11 of 15

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
It's not weird.
Each to their own.
Everyone has their opinion and preferred style to do things.
Message 12 of 15

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3417 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
I think younger children should practice their writing and reading using jotters, although a mixture of using technology as they get older though.
Indubitably true. Samsung S21 Ultra and Xiaomi 14 Ultra
Message 13 of 15

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
My nephew is 8 and his school are pushing pupils to do maths exercises online at home, however I feel that they should concentrate more on their writing
Message 14 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1 wrote:
My nephew is 8 and his school are pushing pupils to do maths exercises online at home, however I feel that they should concentrate more on their writing

I think I'd be inclined to agree with you, I find that I never really need to physically write anything outside of exams and my handwriting is pretty shocking as a result. (Maybe that's just me?)

Throughout school, college and now at university most work, almost all extended written pieces are typed. It makes sense if you're writing thousands of words for a single piece of work to type it, however in schools that generally isn't the case so the practice in my opinion would be a good thing.

Message 15 of 15