Did you mean: 

O2 SCAM ALERT Bank Accounts could be emptied

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi ~

I am very concerned having read an article that O2 EE and Vodafone mobile phone customers are vulnerable to a growing scam which allows fraudsters access to their bank accounts.

An investigation by BBC 1's Watchdog Live has discovered the phone giants are handing out replacement SIM cards to people without running proper ID checks.

This allows criminals to pose as customers, get a SIM card for a phone that isn't theirs, and gain access to someone's phone number.

Once they have access to the phone number not only can they hijack calls and texts, but they can use it to access a person's mobile banking, and potentially clear out their accounts.

Cases of so-called SIM-swap fraud have krocketed 60 per cent since 2016

A case was presented that £2000 was removed from a persons bank and the bank initially refused to refund the money, blaming the person for not keeping details safe.  This was a replacement SIM card by EE

Watchdog finds O2 and Vodaphone worst offenders.

Five of the six O2 stores visited allowed a TV person to walk out with a SIM card for a phone number that wasn't his.  

O2 has told the programme it currently only asks for photo ID when replacing sims on a monthly contract PAYGo would receive an authorisation code alerting them that someone is trying to access their number.

However, when tested by Watchdog TV that didn't happen with any of the numbers being used by the Watchdog Live Team.

Very Very worrying ~ 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

We have an official statement addressing this situation. Please see below and let me know if there are any questions. 

We take fraud and customer security extremely seriously, indeed we were the first network to lead trials with the banks to identify and block fake banking messages. We’d like to reassure our customers that we have rigorous methods in place to ensure they are protected against all types of fraudulent activity.

To mitigate SIM Swap fraud we’re the only operator to send an authentication code to the original SIM, notifying our customers that someone is trying to access their number in store. We also ask questions specific to the account which adds another layer of protection to minimise fraud. As an extra layer of security for Pay As You Go we are adding compulsory photo ID checks in all our stores across the country in the coming weeks.”

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 11 of 16

TallTrees
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Thank you very much for your information and the links.  I have read quickly and will take a closer look later on, they are very informative.

Need to keep up-to-date and always aware.

Sorry to hear you were also a victim of data breach (as was I) this is not a customer's fault.

Thank you again for taking the time to give all this info.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 12 of 16

TallTrees
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hey @Martin-O2

Thank you so much for adding the "Official Statement here"

Many people heard the BBC' s report and lots of my friends became very disturbed.

It is great that extra security measures will be in place  at the Stores in particular.

I have been a victim of Data Breach it is a terrible ordeal.

Many thanks TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 13 of 16

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

@TallTrees thanks for sharing. Very damming for the O2 shops and quite concerning! Hope all shops now take the appropriate security verification steps!

Message 14 of 16

TallTrees
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Hi @dgilbert2
Information/knowledge is key to defeat the scammers.
Scammers will be looking for cracks all the time 😊
Customers are constantly being told to keep their info safe / secure.
Our phone or ISP's should ensure they keep tight security controls, good training and safety blocks put in place if procedures are not followed.
Like you ! hoping shops implement tight security from now on 🙂

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 15 of 16

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

@TallTrees

Lets hope so, its quite an embarrassment for the shops this week!

Message 16 of 16