Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now TV Box

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Has anybody got a Now TV Box?  I was thinking of getting one for my aunt - she's not really in the 21st century yet and she still has an old-fashioned radio and has only just invested in a DVD player (which she has used only a handful of times).

The Now TV Box is advertised on TV as a way of getting catch up TV and some Sky products and no subscription is needed (apparently).  It is priced at £9.99.

I have read online about it: https://shop.nowtv.com/

"Get the NOW TV Box for a one-off cost of £9.99 (includes postage & packaging) and get flexible access to the TV that suits you with the Entertainment Month Pass, Sky Movies Month Pass and the Sky Sports Day Pass."

now tv.jpg

The website details different Sky packages but not the stand alone box.  I don't want to sign my aunt up to any subscriptions because she will not have a clue about it lol.

Has anyone got a Now TV Box? Is it really no subscription needed? Is an internet connection required?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Aren't most of those "passes" chargeable?

Apart from catch up tv, Facebook and Spotify I think the rest are.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

And most importantly it needs an internet connection.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 8

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Scroll down the page for the real charges.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 4 of 8

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

Scroll down the page for the real charges.

I read that park perksie but I am not sure if it is a requirement to have one of those packages, or if you can just have the stand alone box with the basics.  If the package is a requirement then it is a bit false advertising isn't it as it says that it is subscription free.

Message 5 of 8

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

As I said above all you get free is catch up tv, Facebook and Spotify.

Message 6 of 8

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Ok thanks for the advice everyone  Thanks!

Message 7 of 8

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Strangely enough, we got given one at Christmas and it is impressive considering our internet connection just about meets the minimum requirements. However and this is the best bit, apparently you can register 4 devices if you have one of the subscribed packages. Apparently 2 can view the same program/film at the same time.

So in our case, as someone else is paying for it as it works out cheaper than having the Sky bundles for them (though the football we have to pay for). So that could be an option (nd that does mean different locations too as we've already proved - for example, if you wanted to pay out for say the movies bundle and not burden the Aunt with subscription details (i.e. you pay!).

Message 8 of 8