Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leeds is voted Best City to Live & Work in

Anonymous
Not applicable

My city of Leeds ... ... ... Hoorah !!! ... ... ... Bouncy

If someone could put up a blue link I'd be grateful slight_smile

As usual with these things it is not clearly stated eg in where - is it in the North of England, England, Great Britain or UK

Leeds has long been a centre for commerce ... & ... a 24 hour city

Wispa' ... ... ... It Ain't Grim Up North Bouncy

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Here's a link for you @Anonymous, but as it's from the Yorkshire Post, some may think it's a little biased.:smileywink:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/main-topics/general-news/leeds-named-best-big-city-in-england-to-live-in-1-7594057

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great @WispaRed7! Do you agree with the poll? If so, what is the thing that you value the most?

Message 4 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's great @@Anonymous! Do you agree with the poll? If so, what is the thing that you value the most?

the shopping ... ... ...  I've yet to go visit the newly completed Trinity Centre towards the bottom end of Briggate ... ... ... The Art & Culture eg The Henry Moore Centre ... ... ... The City Museum & Art Gallery  ... ... ... plenty of drinking & dining out places, gotta go to The Slug & Lettuce, if only for the name ... ... ... Park Row where all the posh substantial commerce buildings are now used for eg Wetherspoons or more upmarket Jamie Oliver's 17 restaurant ... ... ... visit Park Square, admire the done-up classy buildings, used to work for The Water Authority there & eat my packed lunch sitting on the grass amidst the well tended flower-beds ... ... ... Used to be The Queens Hall for concerts & exhibitions now I understand there is a much more modern place for that kind of stuff ... ... ... City Square if only to see the bronze statue of The Black Prince, watch the new water display, sit outside eating your lunch & sharing it with the pigeons, admire the re-use of the old Post Office stone building with its many stone owls on, its now a posh place to wine & dine ... & ... alongside that building on one side of City Square there is the old big round Majestic building, used to be a cinema, since used for Mecca bingo many years ago ... ... ... dunno if Brewery Wharf is now there ... ... ... good hotels in the city centre too, & no-doubt clubs ... ... ... the train station is very central to the city centre

To sum up: Leeds has not been silly with it's architecture ... doing them up to use for their advantage

Give it a visit ... ... ... I think you'd be surprised ... ... ... @Anonymous There's even a Harvey Nicholls, which I went in & explored, but I only went in for the grey liveried doorman to open the glass doors for me

@Bambino The Yorkshire Post is rated as a good regional newspaper

Wispa' Cat

Message 5 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Out of interest @Anonymous has Leeds ever put itself forward as a City of Culture? I remember Liverpool did once and thought then Not a chance...(I had visited Liverpool years before and thought it was awful). However I went back a couple of years ago and was so surprised at how hard they had worked on regeneration projects. It really was a pleasure to visit this last time..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't really know Cleo' ... ... ... when you visited was it when the International Garden Festival was on in Liverpool ?

Thanks for the links Bambino, I have 'passed through' Newcastle on the way further north & was impressed ... ... ... that was many years ago ... ... ... I'd like to go there properly for a look around, I can easily get there by train ... ... ... on my To-Do List now wink

I'd like to visit Cardiff Bay, but very very difficult for me to get to

I used to live in very rural Leicestershire & enjoyed visiting Leicester city

Easy for me to visit is Glasgow, train starts from Leeds & runs through on its way up to the city ... ... ... Charles Rennie Mackintosh's architecture & of course the tea rooms has been on my To-Do List for some time ... ... ... have 'been there' on way to The Isle of Bute Jazz Festival more than once

All I lack is the cash & a travelling companion 

WispaRed7 Cat

Message 8 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

No Jane it was when a rock and roll weekend was on at the Adelphi hotel. We just browsed Liverpool on the Saturday and Sunday morning...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I've had the misfortune to visit Liverpool many times over the last couple of years. It is definitely a city of culture and you would need a week there to explore the heritage and history. Similarly Manchester, though we have our own heritage, humour and traditions. People seem to think the UK starts and ends in London or the Watford gap, believe me people, it doesnt. Do yourselves a favour and travel the UK, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool  and Birmingham have so much to offer. I discount Scotland because they want to keep the Sassenachs out! Ireland and Wales are very dear to me also. So much to offer overseas but get to know the UK first people.

Message 10 of 22