• 1558 Solutions

Sounds like he had a different racket going on... 🤐

Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I don't know how I feel about this as there are so many people (in power) guilty of tax evasion and they get away with it. Of course his error was claiming bankruptcy and he wasn't in that state at all.

Completely away from that, Becker was never one of my favourite tennis players.  He was like a machine and devoid of any personality at all. In his era, I much preferred Jimmy Connors, John McInroe and Ilie Nastase

A jail sentence does seem a bit steep though.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Reading that article, it seems he never had any money and was just passing the parcel to avoid more debt yet going into more debt but gets jailed for it? Worst of it is that his accountants must be dodgy and probably got away with a great deal of money. Of course there's more but he'll be out in under a year and back commentating for Wimbledon 2024 because the BBC has no morals. Wait, does that mean he'll eligible for job seekers allowance 😁

Message 4 of 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Boris spent a lot of money in the courts denying his affair with a Russian model. He was trying to save his marriage. Such a shame (for him) that his case fell apart when people saw a photo of his daughter from that liaison.

Becker.jpg

No DNA required really Lol.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 9

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10655 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

That is so funny @Cleoriff  I saw that too ~ he loves his daughter (the only one).  He's not a bad chap, misled by many trying (no doubt) to exploit his name and fame and the money he made from tennis. 

He is one of those likable rogues, just went silly when he thought he was going to lose everything. However, it is very likely that he will come back with a book (should start writing it in prison! * that is what the Scoundrel and bad character Conservative and Life Peer Baron Jeffrey Archer did! ) and TV appearances and back to commentating at Wimbledon, I like him commentating there.  Possibly he will ask for some Tennis Rackets etc. and start a Prison Tennis Club ~ could do well!

Good luck Boris B. there are many many people who deserve to be in Prison more than you do. 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes @TallTrees 

Very good at commentary and a nice chap. I disliked him when he was playing tennis for the reasons given. However, he was only 17 when he started to win Wimbledon and all the other major tournaments. Like you, I think he was ill advised by the people he employed to look after his tax affairs and as @sheepdog said, they probably got very rich themselves, off the back of his money.

I actually wish him well and hope he's out in a year.

I think there are so many people in the House of Lords and Government who do far worse with their money and get away with it.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35209 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

All them roubles rollin' around Westminster, you're right there @Cleoriff 😤😡

Message 8 of 9

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

He's not the smartest and got bad advices. But he is old enough, so he has to take the responsability of his actions (as long as I can think he always was in trouble financially - it was made fun of everywhere).

So I hope he'll learn from his mistakes and will come out of jail as a better guy.

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 9 of 9