Anonymous
Not applicable
For iPhone / iPad owners.

iOS 8.1 is now live to download.
Message 1 of 190
189 REPLIES 189

Anonymous
Not applicable
I assume your referring to the part on how to revert the carrier file part of the link ?

Tbh it's not something I personally would be playing around with.

But that's just me. 😄
Message 131 of 190

GeorgeStark
  • 71 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Me neither...interesting, as it shows how malleable those specific settings are.

At the end of the day, why would Apple introduce this option back into iOS v8.1, only to prevent it from being used by 4G enabled devices?  It just doesn't make sense for Apple to do that.

Message 132 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I get home I'll take a look to see if end users on Vodaphone are talking about the same issue as this is supposed to affect other networks in the link that Chris_K posted.

Message 133 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@GeorgeStark wrote:

Since (I'm pretty sure) iOS 8 , all the references to 'Mobile' and 'Mobile Data Network' have been changed to 'Cellular' and 'Cellular Data Network' (talk about being separated by a common language).  What iOS version was on the device from which that screenshot was taken?

Change your language settings to English (United Kingdom).

Just realised mine wasnt either opps changed now though thanks!

Message 134 of 190

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144500 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions
All part of the service slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 135 of 190

GeorgeStark
  • 71 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
When I get home I'll take a look to see if end users on Vodaphone are talking about the same issue as this is supposed to affect other networks in the link that Chris_K posted.

I've just asked a friend with a new iPhone 6 on Vodafone to send me a screenshot of his 'Mobile Data' section, in Settings...it's exactly the same as mine.  No 'Voice and Data' option, 4G toggle only and no way to disable 3G without disabling all cellular data.

This isn't adding up.  That would suggest is isn't an O2/carrier issue but again, why on earth would Apple put this option back in via iOS v8.1, but essentially disable it for every 4G enabled device?  There must be at least as many iPhone 5s, 5c, 6 and 6 Plus devices than the non-4G equivalents (iPhone 5, 4, 4s, etc.).

Message 136 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another angle to consider is that enough iPhone end users have sent enough 'feedback' to them (Apple) asking for the toggle so they've added it into iOS 8 ,and then left it in the ball courts of the networks to update their carrier files or not so it seems.
Message 137 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
Im a little confused, were people actually able to use data on 2G? I was only ever able to use the internet, receive emails etc on 3G with O2? Now with Vodafone ive not been able to try 2G as its never been available due the the IOS 8 on the 6plus. So Now i just turn mobile data off until I need it, this way I save on unexpected data use and battery power. So not to bothered. I use wifi most of the time anyway.
Message 138 of 190

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Forcing a phone onto 2G can help stabalise calls for people in fringe coverage.
Message 140 of 190