Anonymous
Not applicable
For iPhone / iPad owners.

iOS 8.1 is now live to download.
Message 1 of 190
189 REPLIES 189

Anonymous
Not applicable

I definitely think it is confusing. Some iPhone 5 users have the 2g 'Voice & Data' toggle and others don't - I wonder if there's something wrong with the update. Users should have the opportunity to toggle between 2G/3G and 4/G if they want - it's riduclous for them to dictate it! 

Message 111 of 190

GeorgeStark
Level 3: Thinker
  • 71 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
My wife has an iPhone 5, running iOS 7.x and on a pay monthly tariff with a non-4G SIM. Last night, I swapped our SIM cards over and I still didn't see the 3G/2G toggle on my phone. Her phone then prompted to be activated (oddly, mine didn't), so I couldn't see what options she ended up with after my SIM was inserted. Her phone is on carrier settings v15.6 and mine is v18...if the physical SIM and type of O2 account don't make any difference to this (and based on my swap, they don't seem to), carrier settings are the only thing left.
Message 112 of 190

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I personally am fairly sure in my own mind that it is down to the carrier settings despite O2's statement that it isn't.

Message 113 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure it must be too. My friend with the same phone as me upgraded to iOS 8.1 and doesn't have the settings I do! And she's also with O2

Message 114 of 190

amcleod
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 31 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My wife has an iPhone 5 and when she was on iOS 8.0.2 and Carrier setting 17.0, she just had the 4G toggle.

Now that she has updated to iOS 8.1 and Carrier stetting 18.0, she has the 2G/3G/4G toggle.

I have an iPhone 6 on iOS 8.1 and Carrier stetting 18.0 and I only have the 4G toggle.

If this is a carrier setting, it must be down to whether you have a 3G or 4G sim or tariff.

I assume that everyone else that is only seeing the 4G toggle is on a 4G tariff and using an iPhone 5s or 6.

Message 115 of 190

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That seems to be the only difference with the people seeing the toggle switch.

Message 116 of 190

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I am seeing the same as what @Anonymous  posted earlier - under mobile data I only have the option to enable 4G.

Message 117 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep it is but it's ridiclous. It shouldn't matter which tarrif you're on and I'm in the situation now where if I upgrade to the iPhone 6 I'll have to use more data with the 3G option. Rubbish!! 

Message 118 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's not the case. I don't have a 4g tariff and yet I still have only a 4g toggle not the option to select 2g.
Message 119 of 190

GeorgeStark
  • 71 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@amcleod wrote:

My wife has an iPhone 5 and when she was on iOS 8.0.2 and Carrier setting 17.0, she just had the 4G toggle.

Now that she has updated to iOS 8.1 and Carrier stetting 18.0, she has the 2G/3G/4G toggle.

I have an iPhone 6 on iOS 8.1 and Carrier stetting 18.0 and I only have the 4G toggle.

If this is a carrier setting, it must be down to whether you have a 3G or 4G sim or tariff.

I assume that everyone else that is only seeing the 4G toggle is on a 4G tariff and using an iPhone 5s or 6.

Yes, that's how it's supposed to work for everybody, unfortunately, that's not what seems to be happening.

From what you've said, it would suggest that it's not the carrier settings but I'm wondering if it's a combination of device AND carrier settings...can the carrier settings be specific to a device model?  From memory, the iPhone 5 isn't a 4G enabled device so it wouldn't make any sense for it to be given the 4G toggle.

I'm even more confused now than I was yesterday...I don't get why giving people the option to turn off 3G without also losing 2G, is a problem.  Maybe the networks simply want to get rid of their 2G infrastructure and this is a deliberate/stealth attempt to migrate people away from it?

Message 120 of 190