Did you mean: 

Google's new AI system Duplex makes a phone call

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Google latest artificial intelligence assistant named Duplex has been designed to perform real world tasks and they recently demonstrated it making a phone call and booking a hair appointment at a salon. The demonstration was not live and was picked from a wider pool of test calls but the A.I performed brilliantly and the person on the other end of the line had no idea they were talking to an AI! Take a look at the video. 

A few people have raised concerns over people interacting with a computer without realising. What do you guys think? Would you be happy for your AI assistant making calls and booking appointments on your behalf? How would you feel getting called up by a computer program?  

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Absolutely disgusting. With all the robocalls and cold calling and people trying to scam you, this takes all that to a new level. What makes Google think the scammers aren't going to seize on this technology and make people's lives miserable? I'm 100% against it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions
But could it get through to live chat....
Could it understand the adviser....
Message 3 of 12

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Bambino There's certainly a lot of room for misuse once these become more main stream! 

@jonsie I would think eventually AI will replace all advisors. anguished

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

Whatever happened to Lucy ???

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

God help us then. (unless it's live chat as some of those advisors talk rubbish) wink

Would we need to programme the customers to ask the questions in a certain way?Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Cold callers will still need a response system that isn't foolproof
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Think it poses a lot of ethical questions.

The future is going to be fairly grim if all customer service is delivered by AI and automation, the kind of vision portrayed in the X-Files episode a few weeks back where technology turns on Mulder and Scully.

I watched the Salon and the Restaurant demos, think things are going a bit too far, just because we can doesn't mean we should.

Message 8 of 12

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Martin-O2 wrote:

Whatever happened to Lucy ???

Too many admirers, apparently she couldn't cope and her headgasket blew frazzling her single chip. Alas, spare parts proved impossible and she's gathering dust as a doorstop in the CEO's office.

Message 9 of 12

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I'm with @Bambino and @Anonymous and am opposed to this. I want to deal with a human being on the phone. It's bad enough dealing with O2's automated system. The thought of dealing with an AI over the phone definitely doesn't appeal.

And scammers will definitely take advantage of this advanced technology, as they do all technology, particularly if AI starts making phone calls.

It's a definite no from me.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 10 of 12