Christmas time soup ideas 🥣

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

O2 Community 2019 Advent Calendar

Hi everyone, 

When the skies are grey and the air chilly, there isn't much that makes me feel better than a hot bowl of soup. It's delicious, easy(?), heartwarming and also quite literally warming too, and the possibilities as endless!

Soup making

Pretty much anything can go in a soup: think of a vegetable, a pulse, meat, a bean or a spice, and chances are, it can be combined with a few other ingredients and turned into a tasty bowl of goodness! In fact soups are so versatile that sometimes it's hard to decide on which direction to take with them.

As I'm personally still just starting my cooking experiences and trying to evolve them from just heating up frozen vegetables and fish fingers in the oven, and in case of soups specifically, heating up some canned chicken broth in the microwave, it would be lovely to hear what you guys are making this Christmas period to feel inspired. slight_smile

What are some of your favourite soup recipes? Do you have any ingredient, seasoning, or tip that you love to use when making or simply eating a soup? What do you have together with the soup, if anything?

🥣🥣🥣

santa santa

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo That's my traditional way of making soup too, although I'm now trying to get used to some additional cooking options/skills. I know how to make cabbage soup actually but it's such a specific kind of taste that it's not something I want to make often! Now that we're getting into the colder season it does sound good though. slight_smile

I also like mushroom soup by the way - cream of mushroom! mushroom

@liggerz87 I can totally imagine that! sweat_smile see_no_evil

What's your favourite soup? slight_smile

@Cleoriff I like leek and potato soup with some seeded bread! Like what @Mi-Amigo said, it's been ages since I had it too. Always from a can and microwaved but it must be delicious home-made. Same with stilton and broccoli @MI5 ! It's strange as I really don't like that type of cheese, but in this soup it's amazing. 🤤

@JAZZ-trad Celery soup stood out from your list! How is that made - is there only celery in it? 

@Anonymous I tried to think back but I don't think I've ever tasted oxtail soup as far as I remember! open_mouth

Message 11 of 39

JAZZ-trad
Level 13: Prompter
  • 890 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is very nice soup @Marjo 

Yes there is celery in it.

Campbells make it ~ it's lovely

campbellsCondensed-Healthy-Request-Cream-of-Celery1.jpg

Message 12 of 39

JAZZ-trad
  • 890 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Oxtail Soup @Marjo  and @Anonymous 

It is quite different full of taste.

thYJ2VSQP7.jpg

Message 13 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scotch Broth - Pea & Ham - Chicken 

Heinz, of course

With crusty bread

Message 14 of 39

JAZZ-trad
  • 890 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Marjo 
I think there is potato in the celery soup but it's not noticeable as the main taste is definitely celery.

Message 15 of 39

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Anonymous Oh yes pea & ham soup from your list, one of my all-time favourites since I was a child. slight_smile In Finland (what about here in the UK?) we sometimes put mustard in it. grin I've also chopped small pieces of onion and mixed them in the soup when heating it up.

After Christmas, my mum used to make ham & pea soup from scratch, using the leftover ham from the Christmas meals. (we had ham instead of turkey) It was delicious!

So there seems to be two soups I haven't tried so far: celery soup and oxtail soup! Cheers for the ideas. And according to many of you, it will be great with some crusty bread of course! smiling

Message 16 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’ve never seen Cream of Celery before.. must be a Sainsbury/Waitrose/Harrods thing 😉
Message 17 of 39

JAZZ-trad
  • 890 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
This soup should be in most supermarkets @Anonymous Tesco sell it. Campbells cream of celery, you may not have noticed it.
Message 18 of 39

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @JAZZ-trad for mentioning celery soup, which I hadn`t heard of before. I do like celery in a salad in the summer, so I`ll add it to my shopping list and ask my carer if she can track it down. If she`s successful and after I`ve tried it, I`ll let evryone know what I think.   

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 19 of 39

JAZZ-trad
  • 890 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi @Mi-Amigo
I hope you enjoy it. It makes a nice change. Look forward to hearing about it later.
Message 20 of 39