cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling Over WiFi via O2.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

After the recent introduction of calling over Wifi added into iOS 8 for iPhones and another Network allowing it I thought I'd ask O2 as I cannot Tugo being Payg.

I asked O2 Twitter "Do we know if O2 will be supporting / allowing Wifi Calling.Which will be a feature in iOS 8 please. Thank you in advance. slight_smile -"

Reply from O2 Twitter

"WiFi calling won't be supported, but you can use TU Go which is multi-platform and cross-device for WiFi calls already :-)"

I said "hi. For clarification will it not be supported at all ? -"

O2 Twitter Reply

"That's correct, but with TU Go you can already make your calls over WiFi"

Conclusion : I'm fortunate to be in a good reception area but was hoping to be able to make use of this feature. 😞
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a quick note on TuGo. It's better then nothing if you are stuck in an area with little or no signal (like my house), and works well enough for outbound calls. However, inbound calls on my iPhone are almost unworkable. By the time I've heard it (different ring tone, can't configure) and unlocked the phone, the call has rung out. Useless really. Also does not integrate well with build in Phone app, so recents and SMS are not synced. So as I say, it's better than nothing, but iOS 8 WiFi calling would be much better.
Message 21 of 40

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144296 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Others have suggested iOS8 Wi-Fi calling but O2 have said they will not be implementing it and are staying with Tugo.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 40

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

iPhones do seem to have a problem trying to answer a call. I'm presuming its a unique problem with iO2 as android users report far less problems.

Message 23 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable
With iOS it can be more difficult to integrate a 3rd party app into the OS. Therefore the best TuGo can do is to put up an iOS notification that the user has to open, which means unlocking the phone. It's a security thing. But it makes it unusable when answering calls. Therefore it's not fit for purpose, which is why people like me are asking for calls over Wifi using iOS 8 functionality.

I guess it's the difference between providing a first class product or service, or just making do. I think O2 fall into the latter. I have posted another comment about O2 Wifi that underlines that for me. BT go the extra mile on BT Wifi, and their Twitter support is second to none, based on my experience. O2 pay lip service but ultimately take a "my way or the high way" attitude. That's all fine, but it means customer loyalty is low. With any luck, BT will buy O2.
Message 24 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am Bl**dy furious, if this is the case, I Phoned the upgrade department to confirm they would be supporting WiFi calling on the IPhone 6 as I live in an area of poor reception. they confirmed that they would be supporting the function and not just with Tugo app. I decided to upgrade and stay with O2 on the back of this information.

"I feel I have been mislead"  I will be emailing the MD looking for a complete refund so I can go with someone that does support it, poss EE.

POOR Show O2

Message 25 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable
I asked Twitter about the feature of Wifi Calling and they said no they would only offer the App TuGo.

Seems not all departments are singing from the same hymn sheet. 😔
Message 26 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm jumping ship to EE. 

I'm in an almost total no-spot at home, and I've had it up to here with TuGo, which fails to answer 100% of incoming calls on my iPhone 5s, and has a good chance of making send-only or receive-only outgoing calls. It also duplicates all my "missed call" and voice mail history. 

My friend showed me his EE iPhone with WiFi Calling this weekend, so I checked with O2. When they confirmed that they don't have it, I asked for a PAC and signed with EE. I get a cheaper and better service. What's not to like?

Alan

Message 27 of 40

MI5
  • 144296 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Whatever works for you - that's the beauty of choice slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 28 of 40

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

It's obviously the best option for you so no arguments from me.

Yet another case of Tugo not working with iPhones. 

Message 29 of 40

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It's obviously the best option for you so no arguments from me.

Yet another case of Tugo not working with iPhones. 

Maybe time for O2 to 'issue a disclaimer' about Tugo for iPhone users wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 40