cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling Over WiFi via O2.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

After the recent introduction of calling over Wifi added into iOS 8 for iPhones and another Network allowing it I thought I'd ask O2 as I cannot Tugo being Payg.

I asked O2 Twitter "Do we know if O2 will be supporting / allowing Wifi Calling.Which will be a feature in iOS 8 please. Thank you in advance. slight_smile -"

Reply from O2 Twitter

"WiFi calling won't be supported, but you can use TU Go which is multi-platform and cross-device for WiFi calls already :-)"

I said "hi. For clarification will it not be supported at all ? -"

O2 Twitter Reply

"That's correct, but with TU Go you can already make your calls over WiFi"

Conclusion : I'm fortunate to be in a good reception area but was hoping to be able to make use of this feature. 😞
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was just wondering as I hadn't mentioned any perks in relation to Community Rewards ,and wondered why you brought that to the post. Indeed theirs not much point of any perk if signal is non existent.

I am looking into Calling over WiFi both for myself and others interested in this feature.

If for example I am very happy with my Payg Status and am not at this time ready to go to contract stage , then I accept Tugo is not available to me ,and others on this type of contract or a business contract.

However being able to use a Calling over Wifi on Payg or business would negate the need then to change account type.

Some stay on Payg for various reasons from simply wanting the freedom of Payg to others who cannot pass a Credit Check for various reasons ,or who have not been resident in the Uk long enough to be able to obtain a contract ,or are below the age to be able to officially obtain a contract.

For these people who do have signal issues Calling over Wifi or the access to Tugo would be useful.

Yes I've known friends who have cancelled a contract and took either a time out ,or picked up a Payg sim instead.
Message 11 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 12 of 40

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
So that only leaves Voda without a wifi calling option now....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 40

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I was just wondering as I hadn't mentioned any perks in relation to Community Rewards ,and wondered why you brought that to the post. Indeed theirs not much point of any perk if signal is non existent.

I am looking into Calling over WiFi both for myself and others interested in this feature.

If for example I am very happy with my Payg Status and am not at this time ready to go to contract stage , then I accept Tugo is not available to me ,and others on this type of contract or a business contract.

However being able to use a Calling over Wifi on Payg or business would negate the need then to change account type.

Some stay on Payg for various reasons from simply wanting the freedom of Payg to others who cannot pass a Credit Check for various reasons ,or who have not been resident in the Uk long enough to be able to obtain a contract ,or are below the age to be able to officially obtain a contract.

For these people who do have signal issues Calling over Wifi or the access to Tugo would be useful.

Yes I've known friends who have cancelled a contract and took either a time out ,or picked up a Payg sim instead.

You're going around in circles. My initial response of saying 'or go on contract and dowload TuGo' was in response to jonsie's suggestion that if you wanted calls over WiFi you could change networks. I mentioned the Community Rewards because what you're given every month in rewards must exceed what it costs you for Pay & Go, and you could easily pay for a 30 day contract, and have TuGo, and STILL have money left over. If you changed networks just so you could access calls over WiFi you would lose your reward, which I'm sure you wouldn't want to do. 

I'm well aware of why people use Pay & Go, and you're perfectly entitled to use whatever method that suits your needs. I was suggesting an alternative. Nothing more.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 14 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable
And as ever I appreciate your valued input and have enjoyed our discussion on my situation slight_smile

I truly hope O2 do either allow Tugo across all Accounts or support WiFi Calling.
Message 15 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable
MI5 said "So that only leaves Voda without a wifi calling option now."

I've not seen anything connected to Vodaphones stance in this feature.

This on their forum from the a tech Team

"Hi everyone,

There’s no news on this at the moment, but if anything was announced, it’d be on our blog.

Keep an eye out there for news.

Thanks,"
Message 16 of 40

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
And as ever I appreciate your valued input and have enjoyed our discussion on my situation slight_smile

I truly hope O2 do either allow Tugo across all Accounts or support WiFi Calling.

Well if your conversation with O2 on Twitter is anything to go by, neither is likely to happen any time soon.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 17 of 40

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Yeah, I saw that too.... (re Voda)

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 40

Pickles
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 564 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Vodafone do have some sort of thing.  You connect to your router ( cannot remember what it is called).  Not very handy though.  I too wish O2 would bring it out if it is a feature of the iOS.  I am one of the fortunate ones though, I can use TuGo.  It works well for me.  But if it was part of the iOS I would presume it would work much better than opening up an app to call or text.

Samsung S8
Message 19 of 40

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
That's a femtocell which is the same as O2's boostbox but not strictly WiFi calling in the true sense.

Currently using:
Message 20 of 40