Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best email for filtering out spam ??

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

My present main email has been in use for about 20years.  Hotmail.com.   

Recently Ive had increased spam , freezing ,  important emails placed in the delete box without ever appearing in my inbox. The last straw was this am when an email mentioned the death of a friend. According to its properties it was spam.

So - is there a free email that has good filtering, is well protected,  allows personal filters and has a good record, along with customer service (- not telephone service.)

Or a low cost provider.

Thanks

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144613 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
I have used gmail for years and find it excellent in all aspects.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gmail is top of the tree less you have mainly iPhone & Mac's which it doesn't like.

It's free & does everything you'd want and lots you don't ; so can be a bit confusing at first, but I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a spam message on any of my three Gmail accounts. Even in the spam folder. There are ads but they appear as emails and are unobtrusive. The systems in place for auto categorising, labeling + filtering & integration with Google Calendar, Maps & Drive is spectacular. Security of your account is state of the art, with dual factor verification, and so on.

The only niggle I have is that the mobile gmail apps are (somewhat) lower featured and occasional you have to go on desktop to change (some) settings.

Sadly outlook.com is second best of the free but I hardly use it any more - the upsides are integration with Windows 10 and Office - the downsides many.

In terms of general security -  it's getting to the stage where individuals should no longer commit any sensitive  financial or confidential information to email. Even if your end is secure the other end probably isn't. 

Message 3 of 27

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi   M15     nice to hear from you, My nursing duties are over and C is bouncing about everywhere.!

Now why did I suspect you were goona say gmail.

I may have to swallow my principles for reasons of mental health !!  Google is something I avoid at all costs for ethical and world monetary good.

Alright as its you I'll have a look at the gmail address i had to acquire when takin out my first smartphone.  Its not been used but I'll take a look.

In return take a look at Duck DuckGo. chicken  Searching seems brill. just as good as IE   or Google and any other for that matter::

Message 4 of 27

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Thanks for the details. As Ive said to M15 I may have to swallow my scruples for sake of my mental health.
How safe is Whats App? I know that's google and have swallowed my pride and is a good way for a partial hearing person to make contacts and converse. I'm home based hardly use anything on the go.
Message 5 of 27

MI5
  • 144613 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
Hi Jenny, yes I do use duck duck myself sometimes too but my life revolves around google as you know, lol slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Gmail is top of the tree less you have mainly iPhone & Mac's which it doesn't like.

It's free & does everything you'd want and lots you don't ; so can be a bit confusing at first, but I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a spam message on any of my three Gmail accounts. Even in the spam folder. There are ads but they appear as emails and are unobtrusive. The systems in place for auto categorising, labeling + filtering & integration with Google Calendar, Maps & Drive is spectacular. Security of your account is state of the art, with dual factor verification, and so on.

The only niggle I have is that the mobile gmail apps are (somewhat) lower featured and occasional you have to go on desktop to change (some) settings.

Sadly outlook.com is second best of the free but I hardly use it any more - the upsides are integration with Windows 10 and Office - the downsides many.

In terms of general security -  it's getting to the stage where individuals should no longer commit any sensitive  financial or confidential information to email. Even if your end is secure the other end probably isn't. 

Gmail works perfectly fine on my iPhone 7 Plus & on my old iPads 

Message 7 of 27

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Let us know if you make any progress with this @Jenny105. slight_smile Like @MI5 I also use gmail and have found it great. Easy to filter out spam and organise different types of emails by setting up "labels" for different categories of emails.

I have an iPhone and Gmail is working fine actually, what problems did you have @Anonymous?

Edit: @Anonymous we posted at the same time grin I also have iPhone 7+. It's shiny black, not matte. I can see loads of fingerprints on it whenever it's not in its case. lol

Message 8 of 27

MI5
  • 144613 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
Works fine for me on my iPhone too slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 9 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gmail works best on Chrome, Chromium and Android with Google drive ; much like Word works best on Windows with One Drive; and iTunes works best on IOS with the Apple Cloud.

Itunes works fine on Windows but not nearly as well as on an iPhone on iOS or MacOS. Word for Android works fine but not as well as Word for Windows.

How safe is Whats App? @Anonymous Depends what you use it for, swapping pictures and cheap phone calls and messages - it's fine - but I wouldn't be using it to transfer sensitive data or transacting confidential business deals .😨

Message 10 of 27