Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Before Dates

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Has anyone had any issues with 'best before dates' in stores?

I recently purchased a packet of biscuits.  When I got home I tried one and it didn't taste 100% right.  When I looked at the packaging I noticed that it went out of date 3 weeks ago.  When I returned it to the store with my receipt, they said that they were allowed to sell items up to 4 weeks out of date - is this correct?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Can a shop sell food beyond its "best before" date?
It is not an offence as such although it would be an offence if the food has deteriorated to such an extent that it was not safe to eat.

What does the "best before" date mean?
The term "sell by" is a common mistake people make when describing food they have bought. "Sell by" has been replaced on labels by "use by" on fresh perishable products and "best before" on stored products.

Food beyond its "best before date" can be sold by shops, however the quality of the product may be inferior to that of an in-date product. It is good practice for shops to have a stock rotation system that prevents food beyond it's "best before" date being sold.The "best before" date places a limit on the period within which food is expected to maintain its quality. It is a date normally applied to shelf-stable foods such as biscuits, crisps, soft drinks, etc. and is sometimes many months in advance. Some foodstuffs may still be edible after the "best before" date has elapsed but the quality of the product may have deteriorated.

Although retailers are not breaking the law by selling food past its "best before" date, they place themselves at greater risk of prosecution under Section 14 of the Food Safety Act 1990. (Sale of food that is not of the quality demanded by the purchaser.) This is a provision of the Act enforced by Trading Standards."
Message 11 of 19

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Thank you for that info BOB slight_smile

Message 12 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.

I wish you well in your endeavours with this.
Message 13 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's utter rubbish they have to give you a refund there's no such thing as a 4 week rule
Message 14 of 19

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
That's utter rubbish they have to give you a refund there's no such thing as a 4 week rule

I've never heard of that rule either.

When I have Googled it, I have found an article saying that some food can be sold which is out of its best best date, however it does not state how far from that date that it can be sold.....

Message 15 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
It can but has to be clearly marked as such if you just buy it off the shelf then you should expect it to be in date
Message 16 of 19

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I guess it is my own fault for not checking. 😞

Thank you for your responses

Message 17 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well now every time you pick some item up to buy I'm sure you'll Check.

I always check the dates on bread and other perishables.

Message 18 of 19

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2208 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Really? 4 weeks? I guess I should check my stuff too when I'm buying in UK.

Here they're not allowed to sell after that date. The stuff gets brought (before the deadline is over) to food banks.

Or just being put into the dustbins. There are many people stealing it from there in the nighttime.

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 19 of 19