Did you mean: 

Your all-time favourite venue!

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

The venue a gig is held in plays a big part in one's experience, whether it's because of its history, architecture, acoustics, layout and accessibility or one of many more factors. music

O2 venues over the country even offer some special perks that, as a customer, you can take advantage of to make your evening even better: 

Capture.PNG

• Get exclusive access to special offers on merchandise and drinks    through the O2 Academy app.
  • Ask the O2 Angels for anything you need help with.
  • Skip the queue with Priority.
  • Use the cloakroom at no cost with Priority.
  • Charge your phone.
  • And much more: you can find all the perks and info here!

From all the venues you've been to over the years, which one was your favourite to visit? Whether an O2 venue or not, we'd love to hear what it was about this place that made your gig experience all the more enjoyable! smiley

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Without doubt The Marquee in Soho London @EmilieT

It has so much history of being the venue where famous groups played their first (or one off) gigs

Groups such as:

The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Elton John, Jethro Tull, Jimi Hendrix to name but a few.

We only went there once....but loved the whole experience

It was the place to go during the 60's and 70's.

More info here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquee_Club

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I had never heard of this one @Cleoriff, but what a rich history it has! I love the idea of the "secret gigs" being played there ... I wonder how big it is inside, it looks rather cozy and intimate? I tend to prefer the slightly smaller venues, just because of the atmosphere it creates smiling

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 3 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT

It started off small, but they kept extending at the back of the original building.

Very cosy and intimate. The NYE we went it was absolutely heaving.

We were lucky though as the headliners (The Heavy Metal Kids) knew my husband and I very well.

We followed them round the country to watch them. The lead singer (Gary Holton) yelled to us in his cockney accent 'Oi, Den and Ray.... get yourselves down here at the front where I can watch what you get up to' joy

Image result for Images of the Heavy Metal kids with Gary Holton

Gary, the one in the middle, went on to play Wayne in a TV series called Auf Weidersehen Pet.

Then he died of a drug overdose in 1985. cry

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Birmingham arena.
Best acoustics I've ever heard tbh.
Though I've always wanted to go to the millennium done / O2 but never found the opportunity lol
Message 5 of 9

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Birmingham arena.
Best acoustics I've ever heard tbh.
Though I've always wanted to go to the millennium done / O2 but never found the opportunity lol

We went to the dome in 2011 on an O2 staff outing. Tom Jones was the leading name but he was totally eclipsed by the support group The KC's. They were outstanding, the only downside being compered, do they still use that term, by Dermot O'Dreary! Lee Evans was also appearing. Stayed in a nice hotel near the venue too. Acoustics were pretty good but my hearing can't appreciate the finer points.

Message 6 of 9

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff Cosy and intimate sounds great, and having connections must have made the experience even better! I'm sorry to hear the lead singer of that band died though, but you've made great memories together ... As you followed them around the country is it safe to assume it is/was one of your favourite bands??

@viridis I've never been to the Birmingham Arena myself but good acoustics are soooo important. have you never been to The O2 because there's not been much that caught your interest or is it just not very practical for you to get there? 

@jonsie

That sounds like an awesome gig! The O2 has changed a lot since 2011, you might like it even more now wink

signature

Message 7 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Never found the time and in cases when I did try the reasonable priced tickets were all taken by scalpers.
Message 8 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT

The HMK were one of our favourites. I would go as far as saying that Gary Holton was one of the best frontman of any band I've seen. Except for Freddie Mercury. 

He was a real showman with a brilliant voice. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 9