Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly rolling data only plan

Barnie
Level 1: Joiner
  • 24 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If I take out a new data only plan for a IoT device I just purchased, will I be able to keep using any data I haven’t used but already paid for if I cancel plan after 30 days?

I have purchased a LTE cctv camera but cannot test it or use it without a data SIM card, but I don’t want to take out a contract in case the camera doesn’t work how I need it to. Hopefully this explains why I am asking the above question…

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24019 Posts
  • 1046 Topics
  • 3774 Solutions

@Barnie If you cancel the plan the data cancels with it. Get a Pay & Go sim first to test what you need.

Pay As You Go SIM Card Deals & Offers (o2.co.uk)

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24019 Posts
  • 1046 Topics
  • 3774 Solutions

@Barnie If you cancel the plan the data cancels with it. Get a Pay & Go sim first to test what you need.

Pay As You Go SIM Card Deals & Offers (o2.co.uk)

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11620 Posts
  • 64 Topics
  • 3163 Solutions

@Barnie 

Have a look at some of the IOT specific providers such as Scancom, but as @Bambino says get a sim from a variety of networks and test.

--
iPhone 16 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 3 of 10

Barnie
  • 24 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh I already purchased a pre paid sim from Scam con and they’ve failed to deliver after 5 days, so I’m now involved with getting a £60 refund and they’re not being helpful, since DPD seem to have lost the sim…

I only have until weekend before the return window closes on the LTE camera, so unless I can get a sim next day I will have to return it without even trying it.

O2 is the only network that works in this location, so it has to be O2 sim. There’s no O2 shop within 50 miles of where I live…

Message 4 of 10

Barnie
  • 24 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino Thanks for that. Problem I now have is - I just ordered a free data sim, but email says….

1. Pop it in your device
2. Connect to wifi
3. Download the My O2 app
4. Follow the instructions on your sim pack to get started

It’s not possible to connect a LTE camera to wifi and it’s not possible to download the O2 app to a camera either, so even though I ordered the sim it’s not going to work.

Message 5 of 10

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7988 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1653 Solutions

You would have to pop it in a phone first of all to get it running

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 10

Barnie
  • 24 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Enlli 

I did wonder if that was possible, but this is a data only sim for android devices?

I already have a contract with O2 for my iPhone.

The free PAYG sims can’t be ordered through the O2 app, so it’s not linked to my account. The only sim deals you can add through app are 24mth/12mth/6mth contracts or rolling monthly contracts. The free PAYG sims redirect to O2 shop, no idea why seems a bit stupid but that’s O2 for you.

Message 7 of 10

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7988 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1653 Solutions

@Barnie 

Found these instruction which does not involve MyO2 

Pop out the right size sim for your device, put it in and switch it on.

Visit the Pay As You Go mobile broadband page

Enter your mobile broadband number and click sign in. Your mobile broadband number will be in the pack that came with your sim.

Follow the instructions to register and activate your data.

You’re ready to go. Just restart your device so you can enjoy your data.

https://mbb.o2.co.uk/Refresh/NewUserSignin

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 8 of 10

Barnie
  • 24 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Enlli 

Thanks for looking up that info for me, I really do appreciate it.

The problem is you can’t do any of that with a IoT device like this Reolink TrackMix LTE security camera. The sim must be already activated and have prepaid data on it before inserted into camera.

I don’t want to risk further issues with my iPhone by removing my current sim and inserting an android data only sim. If it causes issues on my iPhone I won’t have a working phone and won’t even be able to do my banking, so not worth the risk..

O2 make it so difficult to do business with them!

Message 9 of 10

Barnie
  • 24 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino 

The PAYG sim never arrived so I’ve had to go ahead today and order a 5gb monthly rolling data sim… If that fails to arrive I’m going to send the LTE camera back and quit O2 for good, they’re just to difficult to deal with.

Message 10 of 10